OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bochs build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 am 

Hi guys, I am having trouble building Bochs, I am using Cygwin (Yes Cygwin, I gave up compiling straight from MS) to compile it, and I am having this trouble. It complains that it is missing the gtk libraries. A check in the Cygwin includes told me that it is there, yet it is searching the libraries here: C:/MinGW/msys/1.0/include/gtk-2.0 . Can someone help me with getting Cygwin to search within its own libraries instead of MinGW's libraries (which won't have gtk-2.0) without uninstalling MinGW (well, if I really have to, I don't mind. I mean, screw it, I will just use the MinGW in Cygwin, can't be any worse, right?).

P.S.: Sorry if this post is messy/screwed/whatever negative adjective you have, I am really getting desperate after weeks (not really, I only spent hours within the weeks to try compiling, but the time spent is definitely long enough to make someone go crazy seeing the same error again and again and again and...you get the drift, ugh). ](*,) Also I apologize for the really n00b question, but I screwed up with Windows (1 more to the reasons why Windows can suck I guess), so yeah, really weird problems appear.

Post subject: Re: Bochs build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:11 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Why would you even want to use GTK? Bochs has a native windows frontend for use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:14 am 

Ahahaha, a similar problem popped up when I used the native library (win32 right?), Cygwin also went to the C:/MinGW directory to search for the include file, so I tried x11. Turned out Cygwin still has this problem for x11 libraries too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:21 am 

In other words, you screwed up your entire machine and tried to use cygwin as a way to fix it?

Clear up your PATH environment variable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:30 am 

Ok, lets see, I cleared my PATH variable and retried the win32 build (it seems there wasn't missing libraries before, had some functions missing, sorry for giving wrong info). It complained _beginthread and _endthread is missing. I am currently researching why is this so, but if anyone knows it would be easier for me (The configure script said pthreads was installed FYI)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 am 

Did you refer to this page?
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/doc/docboo ... iling.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 am 

Well, I am keeping it open as I compile Bochs, so yes, I am refering to it. But apparently (and sadly) opening tabs doesn't magically solve my issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:32 am 

Well...after a little googling, it turns out the errors I face for the --with-win32 options were already pointed out by Combuster in an older post:

Combuster wrote:
- _beginthread/_endthread are part of the Visual C Runtime, and do not show up in cygwin or mingw headers.

So yeah, it seems that I will have to use MSVC to compile this I suppose (Or use the --with-x11 options instead, but then again Cygwin seems to be giving me other problems too regarding the options so I will look around for the causes and try to solve them myself). By the way, the 2.6.3 source seems to be giving me issues about the debugger (if anyone wants to give me a hand the messages where it screwed up is here http://pastebin.com/C8xcMqyv), have anyone compiled Bochs and know which version works? Otherwise I will just build from within Ubuntu VM...somehow...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:11 am 

Tried to build Bochs looks like I am in the same boat. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:28 am 

Where did I write that? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:49 am 

Quote:
Where did I write that? :shock:

viewtopic.php?t=25396&p=210960
Post no. 14. :)
Quote:

It's a bit of a shame that the latest Bochs release is broken on a non-screwed-over-cygwin installation as well - mostly because it used to work out of the box. And unfortunately there's more than one issue involved in that...

Things I found so far:
- Mixing windows sockets with (emulated) bsd sockets gives compilation errors
- c++98 doesn't support (v)snprintf
- _beginthread/_endthread are part of the Visual C Runtime, and do not show up in cygwin or mingw headers.

8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 am 

Hmm, by the looks of it you missed the more important notion that they obviously did not get their act together all that time. Nor did you find the solution to that specific person's problem at the other end of google.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:00 am 

Um...the installing Linux along Windows? Trying, but I screwed up my partitions (The last time I tried to do that, but the genius me decided to manually create partitions instead of letting the installer doing it automatically, why did I do that, ending up with corrupted partitions and me having to recover them, still problematic, asking my friends if he knows how to recover since I don't have a new hard drive). Once I fixed it and ensure its stable I will go on to install it. If its the googling, I am trying, but Google isn't giving the answers I need. I suppose I have to switch to MSVC if I wanna compile for win32, though, this still doesn't explain why compiling without gui has issues(My previous reply)

Edit: Its Bochs 2.6.2, don't worry I haven't invented the time machine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 pm 

Hi,
Got it working on my computer. Here's what you do:
1. Download MS Dumb C++ from M$ (warning: it's heavily bloated) okay, it's Visual C++, I have the professional version,
but express (free) version should work fine too.
2. Download ZIP, (you may also need bzip2.dll) from GNUWin32 (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/zip.htm)
Here's for Bzip2 (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/bzip2.htm) Put them in your $PATH folder.
3. Open up Cygwin cd to bochs source directory.
4. Run from cygwin (assuming you've everything required):
Quote:
sh .conf.win32-vcpp
make win32_snap

5. Now there should be a new directory call vs2008, open that, and select "bochs.sln", and open it with VC++.
6. MSVC++ 2010/2012 will complain (as usual) that the project is waaaay too old. NOTE: If you can grab a copy of VS2008 then it's
better but VC++2010/2012 should be able to properly convert it.
7. Follow the conversion steps.
8. Make sure you have a backup, VC++ will ask whether to create a backup, it's recommended to do this, since MSVC++ can screw up easily.
9. After you have opened the project select "bochs" from Solution Explorer. Go to Project->Set as startup project.
10. Goto Build->Build Solution.
11. Goto Build->Build bochs.
12. Now goto the bochs source directory, open obj-debug and you should see bochs.exe, bximage.exe etc., you're done!
I have Visual Studio 2010 professional, with Windows 7 32-bit. It's a fresh install (just installed it 2 days ago after crash)
As for installing Linux alongside Windows, I think Ubuntu provides a Windows installer, (it's an application that'll do everything download Ubuntu, create partitions, install it.) once it finishes you'll be requested to reboot.
-Bender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48 am 

Thanks Bender. Will go try it out. Just curious, which version of bochs was it and did you have the --enable-debugger?