OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Productive OS Development
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:35 pm 

What if you're hipster and use cygwin? Hipster here being defined as lazy. (ie. #define hipster lazy)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:44 am 

Quote:
What if you're hipster and use cygwin?

I neither use UNIX neither Cygwin. I use Windows with Ubuntu mono font inside Console2 with DOS EDIT.COM or Visual Studio (Yes. Auto Ident, and more awesome stuff, works fine with C files) some bunch of C Compilers, and FASM. :roll:
These are my opinions let's not start a UNIX vs Windows here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:50 am 

I tried using Cygwin, and it can be pretty screwed up (I tried to compile, but I suspect my compiler is screwed up badly.). I am currently using Ubuntu inside Virtualbox with the ability to access my computer's A Drive (I made another drive with whatever space wasted in D Drive and put it in another partition. I was trying to install Ubuntu on it, but I screwed up my MBR doing that, but hey, 100GB ++ more space). That way, I can access my OS source code on both Windows and inside the virtual machine. Also, I wouldn't stay on Cygwin even if I got it working, so I would suggest having an actual Linux distro running some how, dual boot or virtual machine (or your OS when its good enough). Anyway, Windows in any form doesn't appeal as a good OS development environment to me.

Note: These are my personal opinion which if it is wrong can be caused by my lack of experience. Do feel free to correct me if I am wrong. *Casts anti-flame barrier spell*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:54 am 

Well Cygwin is kind of messy, merging UNIX and Windows. (LOL)
No offence to people using Cygwin.
Btw What's the need of using Cygwin, I guess the secret lies in that DLL, which provides POSIX like functionality? (Excluding the Linux like feeling)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:03 am 

Well Cygwin does ship some tools, can't complain. I do remember another way to get linux into windows would be to use andlinux and colinux if you use a 32 bit windows system (I never tried it myself, have anyone tried it? I use 64 bit so yeah... :( , I am really interested about how it feels compared to a linux installation, would it make windows a better development environment? Also, just before someone points out that 32 bit application can be run on 64 bit systems too, go give it a try. It took me hours before I gave up, it strictly runs on 32 bit systems).

@Bender: Wow, didn't know you are from Singapore too (just noticed). I should change my location to Singapore.