OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Keyboard Prefrence
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 am 

I'm currently at an interesting point. My USB keyboard has died on my desktop, so I'm in need of a new one.
Rather than the usual "Hey, this has the alphabet on it and costs $4, Sold!" routine I do; I thought this would be a good time to invest in a high quality keyboard.
I know people swear by their model-M's, but I want honest answers.

What keyboards do you use, and in your opinion, does it increase productivity to have it?

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Post subject: Re: Keyboard Prefrence
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:38 am 

I love my RAZER BlackWidow. Don't think that model is on the market still. Cost about $80 in 2012, but super happy with it. Mechanical keyboards are they way to go. Granted, my roommate notices if I'm writing code in the middle of the night because of the "tick-tick-tick" sound, but it's worth every penny.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:13 am 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
Unless the layout and physical feedback is completely identical, every keyboard needs some adjustment. I still can't properly type on a macbook or mac keyboard because I skipped training and insisted on having a more traditional USB keyboard attached.

Practically, having space between the numerals and the F-keys saves you quite some problems with mistypes (which are especially annoying and timeconsuming), I also need to have multimedia keys so I can control the music with little more than a reflex.

Keys should have significant feedback. I doesn't nearly have to be the amount (noise included) that you get from the oldfashioned IBMs, but it needs to be there so you know if you actually pressed the key or not. This keyboard functions well without making too much typing noise overall. Cellphone touch keyboards are annoying like hell because apart from a lack of feedback, you also can't rest your hands on the keys.

And then the Dutch keyboard layout. It's a pain to get a modern keyboard with that layout, and pretty much impossible to get on a laptop - Mac OS doesn't even support it, but it does both writing in all school languages and then some right, has about twice as many symbols included for all sorts of purposes without having any deadkeys getting in the way of coding. Of course this part doesn't go for US users.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:40 pm 

I love my Das Keyboard so much, I bought two (one for home and one for work). Both of mine have the Cherry MX Brown keys (the softer feeling ones) and it is a great typing experience.

One of them has printed keys and one has blank keys. Their marketing is actually spot on: over time, typing on the blank keyboard will make you faster and less error-prone. Before that happens though, you will be incredibly frustrated by never being able to find the right symbol key. If I had to choose one I would get a keyboard with printed keys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:08 am 

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000. This pack has both the best keyboard and best mouse I have ever used in my life. I have two sets.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:31 pm 

I love my Logitech G15. I'm a software developer and I took my home keyboard to the office to use everyday and I love it. The best feature is the macro recording functionality, where you can record keystrokes and then play them back simply by pressing the macro button you assigned it to. Combine that with search, replace, etc. shortcuts, you can record some really powerful macros that can help you fix formatting, fill in code templates, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:26 am 

I have a Cherry G80. Its' an old fashioned lump with a design which is older than me, but it works beautifully, has a correctly arranged home/end key set (which can't be said for many keyboards), and comes with lovely Cherry MX-Blue switches (Plus, correctly, an MX-Green spacebar).

Along with it I use a Logitech Performance MX mouse, which is just perfectly sculpted to fit inside your hand, gets good battery life, and can be used while being charged (unlike its' predecessors).

I love them both.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:53 pm 

I use whatever $5 keyboard I happen to have in front of me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:33 pm 

How about this?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380376,00.asp