OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Studying abroad in the US
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:45 pm 

bewing wrote:
@Combuster -- well, except for the little language barrier thing ... :twisted:

I would consider that a plus rather than a problem, even more so if the lectures and exams are still in English. Learning another language is never wrong and when you're planning to stay in a foreign country anyway it's the perfect chance to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:54 pm 

Yes, but you need to learn the language first

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:35 pm 

Or at least find a relatives/friends you can live with, or on campus board with an person who speaks your language. You'll have an interpreter while you learn the language and they can introduce you to the country's customs and laws.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:23 am 

I don't think you would starve in the Netherlands with English. ;) So the part with "who speaks your language" shouldn't be a problem. I agree that having someone who helps you to get by in a foreign country wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessarily related to the language.

Owen wrote:

You'll learn it there. Using the language is better than taking any course at home.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:56 pm 

Kevin wrote:
Owen wrote:

You'll learn it there. Using the language is better than taking any course at home.

Yes - but you'll need quite a bit of it down to understand lectures and such (Perhaps you'd get/could get an interpreter temporarily - but thats going to be majorly inconveniencing)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:42 pm 

Location: On the balcony, where I can actually keep 1½m distance
If you bothered to read - all lectures, information sessions, and correspondence with students here is *in english*.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:32 pm 

I was following on from the case other than the "even more so". Perhaps I should have made that more clear :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:26 pm 

Hi,

Quote:
While this one is not located in the States, It has a master programme that looks like its tailored for you: UU/GMT

unfortunatelly, this is too expensive for non-EU students, it costs more than 12 000 euro.
Right now,I'm searching for affordable master course in europ mostly, but I'm considering other
places in the world,sure the course I'm looking for is related to cs.Currently , I'm finishing
my informatics engineering degree in my country.

@Thomas
you said, four years costed you around 800 dollars,what about master degree
how much would it cost?
Also, does the cost for international students differe from the cost for local students?
sure I'm talking about tution fee.

Thanx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:56 pm 

abuashraf wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
While this one is not located in the States, It has a master programme that looks like its tailored for you: UU/GMT

unfortunatelly, this is too expensive for non-EU students, it costs more than 12 000 euro.
Right now,I'm searching for affordable master course in europ mostly, but I'm considering other
places in the world,sure the course I'm looking for is related to cs.Currently , I'm finishing
my informatics engineering degree in my country.

@Thomas
you said, four years costed you around 800 dollars,what about master degree
how much would it cost?
Also, does the cost for international students differe from the cost for local students?
sure I'm talking about tution fee.

Thanx

Costs for extra-EU students will be higher pretty much anywhere - there are bounds inside the EU (Primarily, you can't charge more than you do your own students) but the EU policy doesn't state anything about what charges are levied against students coming from outside, and many universities will therefore charge such students large fees in order to subsidize local students for whom rates are capped

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:12 pm 

Hi abuashraf ,
I apologize for late response . ( Please do consider that 800 $ is only my tution fee ) . If you study masters in a good college in India , you practically do not have to pay anything :) . But you may have to give some money as admission fee( i am not really clear on this one but less than < 23000 Rs = roughly 520$ ) . You will get a reasonable amount of money as stipend each month .That will cover up for your living expense , fee etc and you can save some money too if you are thrifty enough :mrgreen: .
College rankings are roughly
1) All IIT's -- Indian Institute of Technology
2) Some NITS -- National Institute of Technology
3) State Engineering Colleges -- Prominent University's in different states

In order to get into good institutes you need to write a common entrance exam (GATE) and you get into good universities only if you get a good entrance rank ( like within top 300 of the country or so ) . See : http://www.onestopgate.com/question-ban ... on/q13.asp to get the feel of the type of questions asked .

The policy is however different for foreign students , I am not really clear on that . Foreign students may need to support themselves . See : http://www.iitb.ac.in/academic/feesfor0 ... 22june.pdf . For a rough estimate of the expense involved . Everything is taught in English , But foreign people will find it difficult to get used to Indian System of Education . Education System in India is quite good and generally people going from India to foreign countries generally do very well. But it is a different pattern of teaching altogether . But most of the courses are theoretically oriented than practically oriented . You need to be quite self motivated as well :) .

Remember you are what you are , wherever you go . It's what's really inside you that matters the most than the university .

-- Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:13 pm 

I think international MBA from good schools like from Thunderbird laureate is best as job prospects in emerging countries is still better than America. Having international MBA degree allows you to open up many new job prospects for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 am 

Kiara, this thread is four years old ;)
Nevertheless, interesting thread! MessiahAndrew, I'm curious: what has become of your plans?
I am currently studying computer science on the uu (not the gametechnology minor to which a link has been posted, but that one's not that different) and I'm going to study half a year in the US too :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 am 

kutkloon7 wrote:
MessiahAndrew, I'm curious: what has become of your plans?
I am currently studying computer science on the uu (not the gametechnology minor to which a link has been posted, but that one's not that different) and I'm going to study half a year in the US too :)

I continued my education in Australia, and eventually got a job as a software developer in the U.S. and married an American. Still adjusting to the different way of life (I came from an urban inner-city lifestyle of trains and farmers-markets to a suburban American one of trucks, office campuses, and outlet malls. Did not expect such a culture shock between two anglophonic countries.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 am 

I wish to study in Denmark. But I think, for all universities, all around the world, what you produce while studying, belongs to the university. I have a little project half-finished. I am wondering if I have to publish it before beginning my studies. I made this on my self education base, I learned it all by myself and I don't want to be property of any university. But maybe I am bad informed...
The more important reason is that I respect people who are learning by themselves and I wish people to respect me due the same. I wish people to know I published my project in xxxx year and I begun my studies in xxxx+y year, so they know I am self-thought person.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:30 am 

Hi,

I ended up in US too , I wanted to pursue my doctorate in Computer Science and I applied to many universities in my home country and US. Also getting a direct admit for a PhD program in my home country was difficult .
I finally ended up getting an admit in a US university because my GRE score was good and GATE score was bad :( . ( GRE -IMHO it is a useless exam that does not test anything) .

I plan to take up teaching in my home country after i am done with my degree.
--Thomas