OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What languages??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:12 am 
What languages can you write an OS kernel in? I don't like C/C++ are there any other languages an OS kernel can be written in?

Post subject: Re: What languages??
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:28 pm 
Well... keep in mind that some interupt handling is going to require native calls for the chip your writing your system for.   So you can go all out and write the whole thing in assembly (I'm assuming x86, you can get the docs off of intels website).   But this is one reason ppl use C, because you can embedded native instructions in C code.  Also your going to need direct memmory access.  Off the top of my head, other than C and C++,  I can't think of any other free implementations of languages that let you muck around with direct memory addressing  (I'm assuming you don't want to spend any money on a compiler).  

However, this doesn't mean you can't use let's say LISP to implement some features of your system.  I haven't done it, but I think you can create LISP object files and link them with C (i've never tried).  

Tom

Post subject: Re: What languages??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 2:42 pm 
You could use pascal(www.freepascal.org) for some of your OS, but you would have too also use assembly.