OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Anybody interested in helping me make...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:30 pm 
Well, I just did a big update for BOTH sites. I added some more links, added a tutorial, and setup a contest.

JordanC_is_MBlake
I already have the GIF animator that comes with Paint Shop Pro but I won't be using it for my site because of patent issues with GIF(just search for "gif patent" on Google).

K.J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:28 am 
I can help with this project, you could contact me at my
email.

terminal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:17 am 
KJ: e-mail me and tell me what you want me to do. My e-mail is in my profile. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:31 pm 
Okay, I think I emailed both terminal and Jordan C. If not please let me know.

I'm having so problems with osdev2.port5.com.:( I lost the password to it(don't worry, all my other passwords are stored in a program I just got) and the host seems to have lost my right email address and I can't change the email without the password so...

I think that what I'll be doing is ditching osdev2.port5.com and replacing it with:
http://osdev.mega.net.kg

I'll do all the fixing, uploading, etc tomorrow. Right now I'm about to fall asleep typing this.

K.J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:33 am 
Are any of you aware of the alt.os.development journal project? It sounds a lot like the project you're discussing here -- a kind of OS-related web forum, to which people submit articles and generally useful tips.

If so, it seems redundant to try to duplicate our efforts on this. The a.o.d journal has got to the point where various people are writing articles, and I will probably put my tutorials up there as well (perhaps as a permanent home -- I'd like to keep them separate from the Mobius stuff). One of the a.o.d. regulars has also offered to host it on his home box.

In my opinion we ought to pool our resources on this, so that we have a large collection of useful articles instead of two small collections of overlapping articles. Have a think and let me know -- feel free to tell me to sod off :).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:40 pm 
First, the link to Bona Fide OS Development is now:
http://surf.to/osdev

That will probably not change.

Second, where can I find more info about the alt.os.development journal project. As of now, I will continue working Bona Fide OS Development and see how the a.o.d project goes and wether or not we should pool our resources together into one site.

K.J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:41 am 
There's nothing up there yet, although Frank Millea ([email protected]) has been accepting submissions. I'm not sure exactly who's going to host the a.o.d. Journal, although there's been a couple of offers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:51 am 
Well guyz... interesting discussion.
I wonna invite anyone to think:
is usefull to have so mutch sites/forums/chats... (take a look at http://pub72.ezboard.com/fosprojectsfrm3.showMessage?topicID=1.topic) for a newbie ?
I think we're building an hard method to learn in this way.
I dream a unique portal about OSes, with all information & tools [think about SourceForge, but dedicated to OS] to build (or join another one) OS.
Few weeks ago we (me and qStone) discussed about it and we're trying to involve people into this milestone project.

PLEASE REMEMBER: COMPETITION IS FOR INDUSTRIES, COLLABORATION IS FOR THE MASSES !!!

http://more.at/osportal/
To reach this goal we need the support of all of you.
Thanks in advice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:16 am 
As it is, anyone can use my tutorials that are on my site as long as I'm given credit and that a link is put on the site along with my tutorial that points to my site.

One thing that I do wonder. When you say:
COMPETITION IS FOR INDUSTRIES, COLLABORATION IS FOR THE MASSES !!!

Are you suggesting that we are competing for something? I think that what maybe needs to happen is:

1). Don't make more OS Dev message boards, between this one and alt.os.development most people can get help fairly easily

Of course if this message board and alt.os.development could somehow be combined, that would be great.

2). Sites need to concentrate on the basic stuff first(a tutorial on making a fully functional bootsector. i.e. one that will load a kernel) and not on joining a bunch of people that already know how to make an OS to put together an OS(so many sites are doing this). Later the hard stuff can be added.

3). Not thinking that some well commented code is going to teach someone something. Sure, I recommend John Fine's bootsectors 'cause they are well commented. But, I still can't find a tutorial on making a bootsector from start to finish that discusses: accessing files on a FAT12 floppy, moving the bootsector to higher memory, copying the kernel into memory.

4). Giving people pointers on how to get ready to make an OS. You can't just tell them that you don't learn programming by making an OS.

That is my goal for Bona Fide OS Development. I have yet to find a site with goals like this.

K.J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:25 am 
Oh, I also did an update to the site last night. I added a new tutorial and some new links.

K.J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:33 pm 
I updated the site on the 22nd, I added:
the Getting Started in OS Development tutorial.
Memory Managment 1

3 entries for the logo/site design contest!

I'll be adding a feature under the links section that will allow you to submit links anonmously. Along with a rating system for the the Logo/SiteDesing contest(if I can get the script working)! :)

BTW, we've had more than 700 hits on the website!

K.J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:52 pm 
I got the link emailer up on the site and the ability for people to rate the contest entries!

Right now, I'm working on the Memory Managment2 tutorial, a writting a basic C kernel with a printf function, and a computer numbering systems tutorial. I expect to get the numbering systems tutorial done and up on the site by tomorrow night.

K.J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:09 pm 
There were some problems with the rating system. I (think) that I fixed them.

K.J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:34 pm 
wow amazing. great site! keep it up, finally something that makes sense :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:26 pm 
:-[K.J: I've been rrrrrrrreally busy lately, and especially with my e-mail being messed up (it still is). Are you still accepting entries for the logo desgin? Sorry. I'll get on it ASAP if it's still open.