OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Apps ideas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:26 am 
I'm creating an OSS, or Shell, and I need some apps. Anyone got any ideas? BTW, if you want to see the latest release (I will be updating to it soon), see http://www.geocities.com/jsgwbasic/qbasic/acos (I know...that's pretty long. :-[)
So, anyone got any apps ideas?

Post subject: Re: Apps ideas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:28 am 
:'(No ideas!?! I guess my users will have to stick with a calcualtor until I get out of this "writer's block". :'(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:19 am 
Write a demo, port Doom or Descent, Mozilla or OpenOffice (if you have too much spare time, for Mozilla and OpenOffice I mean ...)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:36 am 
Um...thanks for the idea, but it's written in QBasic...lol that would be funny to see Mozilla in a DOS program!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:52 pm 
How about a text editor?

K.J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:56 pm 
Or, if you want a game, you could make pacman.

K.J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:50 pm 
Packman forever!!!
I remember time when the sinclair ZX spectrum was the coolest computer we ever had... It was really cool to have 1.05Mg z80 and 48K ram and 16K rom and the BASIC was buitin.. it was REALLY COOL!!! ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:52 pm 
Try porting gcc to your OS! It's a big deal but if you manage to do so, the rest is much easier to be done.
Or, if you don't want a C compiler, try porting a qbasic compiler or anything you like... .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:34 am 
:o Oh, a shell and not an OS, sorry ...  8) :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:06 am 
The Legend:
That's OK. You don't exactly expect me to be talking about a shell on this board ;)

K.J.:
Is it possible to make a text editor in QBasic? Hm...I think I've seen one...that would be handy. I know with the DOS shell it's got in it you can run anything on your HDD (I mean anything...I ran a DOS game, and Winamp...), but a text editor would be nice. Thanx for all the ideas!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:20 am 
Also maybe make some sort of menu system that the user can customize to have all their own things in a menu. I made a menu program a long time ago, I wish I still had it though. A text editor should not be too hard to make, I made a journal program that would take down page after page of text, it was a bit buggy when you made it to the bottom of each page though. I also made an installation program, QBasic mouse program(yes you heard right being able to use the mouse in QBasic.), an encoder and decoder, and a no break program(used to keep the user from pressing cetain keys like CTRL-Break to get out of the program(very usefull in password programs.(dos only))

Try making a few of these kind of things for the user to use.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:52 am 
Thanks for all the ideas, people. I'm going to have to crawl Google for help with most of this, I still consider myself and intermediate QB programmer ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 11:09 am 
Check http://www.qbasic.com for a sample text editor(I think that there's one there) and, if you haven't, go and get the ABC packet reader and packets( http://www.allbasiccode.com/ and like of said before, whoever took over this site really messed it up).

K.J.