OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: GRUB modules as drivers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:45 pm 

I am starting with my first device driver and I'm trying to understand how to load it. Can I use GRUB "insmod" command or something like that for this?
And I also read Device Management article and it says that I can not to write my own drivers but write only an interface for them and use already existing drivers. Am I right?

Thanks for your reply.

Post subject: Re: GRUB modules as drivers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:19 pm 

KrotovOSdev wrote:
I am starting with my first device driver and I'm trying to understand how to load it. Can I use GRUB "insmod" command or something like that for this?

GRUB's "insmod" command loads GRUB drivers for GRUB. If you want GRUB to load drivers (or any other files) for your OS, use the "module" command. From your OS, you can access those files through the Multiboot information structure.

KrotovOSdev wrote:
And I also read Device Management article and it says that I can not to write my own drivers but write only an interface for them and use already existing drivers. Am I right?

Yes. Which interface do you plan to use?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:36 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
KrotovOSdev wrote:

GRUB's "insmod" command loads GRUB drivers for GRUB. If you want GRUB to load drivers (or any other files) for your OS, use the "module" command. From your OS, you can access those files through the Multiboot information structure.

KrotovOSdev wrote:

Yes. Which interface do you plan to use?

I'm going to use EDI because it's easier to start with, isn't it? According to article about drivers, I can only choose UDI or EDI, or maybe there are some other interfaces?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:00 am 

KrotovOSdev wrote:
I'm going to use EDI because it's easier to start with, isn't it?

EDI should be easier than UDI.

KrotovOSdev wrote:
According to article about drivers, I can only choose UDI or EDI, or maybe there are some other interfaces?

According to the wiki, there's also CDI. But you could, in theory, implement the driver interface from any OS to use the drivers from that OS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:43 pm 

Octocontrabass wrote:
KrotovOSdev wrote:
I'm going to use EDI because it's easier to start with, isn't it?

EDI should be easier than UDI.

KrotovOSdev wrote:
According to article about drivers, I can only choose UDI or EDI, or maybe there are some other interfaces?

According to the wiki, there's also CDI. But you could, in theory, implement the driver interface from any OS to use the drivers from that OS.

I think I got it. Thank you.