OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Interrupt directive ignored
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:53 am 

I have been trying to develop a kernel for some time. I started in March this year, but then I took a break, and now I've returned to it. I haven't got very far with it though. I am stuck at interrupts. It seems like I have misunderstood something. I started following the Barebones tutorial, then the meaty skeleton tutorial, though I may have started deviating a bit from it as I tried to write some standard library functions before reading the suggested implementations, and if my versions worked too, I didn't necessarily switch to the versions in the tutorial. Then it took me some time to figure out how to set up the GDT, but I think I managed to get it right. Then I wrote code to make an IDT, and also a simple interrupt handler that would set a global volatile variable so that I would be able to see it had changed. I hadn't set the IDT to actually refer to that handler, but I don't think that matters for what happened next. I tried to compile the code and:

arch/i386/cpu.c:175:52: warning: 'interrupt' attribute directive ignored [-Wattributes]
__attribute__((interrupt)) void testHandler(struct isframe* testFrame){
^~~~~~~
arch/i386/cpu.c: In function 'testHandler':
arch/i386/cpu.c:175:61: warning: unused parameter 'testFrame' [-Wunused-parameter]

Code:

Code:
struct isframe{ //interrupt stack frame
    int errCode;
    int eip;
    int ecs;
    int flags;
};
    willChange=1;
}

I also tried changing the int elements to uint32_t elements, changing struct isframe to struct interrupt_frame and even changing the order of the elements in the struct in case I'd got them backwards. I also tried leaving out the error code part. The warning doesn't say what it's looking for to identify the structure, but I strongly suspect it must be something with that structure, since the only thing I can find in GCC's documentation is "and you must define struct interrupt_frame as described in the processor’s manual", which is why I tried to see if calling the structure interrupt_frame and the error code error_code made any difference. It didn't. But from my understanding of the Intel documentation, my structure looks right, so I thought I would have a look at the source code of some existing kernels. But so far, every other kernel I've looked at just uses assembly so as not to need the interrupt directive. I guess I'm probably just missing something obvious, but after several days stuck at this point, I think I might as well ask if anyone else understands that directive.

Post subject: Re: Interrupt directive ignored
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:32 am 

What version of GCC are you using? I believe that attribute was only implemented very recently for x86 processors.

Edit - I think it was introduced with GCC v7.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:53 pm 

iansjack wrote:
What version of GCC are you using? I believe that attribute was only implemented very recently for x86 processors.

It's 6.3.0, so I think that might be the reason. That may also explain why so few operating systems (none I could find) use that feature. I'll see what happens when I update the cross compiler. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:30 am 

Well, I rebootstrapped GCC so now it's 7.2, then I used that to build the 7.2 cross compiler. The cross compiler got compiled, and now I've tried to compile my kernel with it. But then it just gives me a bunch of errors from some assembly file, and it's a different filename each time. Example:

Code:
i686-elf-gcc --sysroot=/home/larsrune/tmas/sysroot -isystem=/usr/include -MD -c stdio/printf.c -o stdio/printf.libk.o -std=gnu11 -O2 -g -ffreestanding -Wall -Wextra   -D__is_libc -Iinclude -D__is_libk

If I've counted them correctly, it's 37 errors, all of them about invalid instruction suffixes for push and pop. Apparently, GCC generates some temporary assembly files, and the only information I could find about debugging those was how to save them. Should I spend another day compiling some other version (7.1?) of GCC, or could it be something else? I want to believe it's just some stupid mistake in my commands, but I can't see anything wrong with this:
Code:
i686-elf-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=i686-elf-gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/home/larsrune/.local/libexec/gcc/i686-elf/7.2.0/lto-wrapper
Target: i686-elf
Configured with: ../gcc-7.2.0/configure --target=i686-elf --prefix=/home/larsrune/.local --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++ --without-headers --with-system-zlib
Thread model: single
gcc version 7.2.0 (GCC)

I'm pretty sure those are the same options I used with 6.3.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:02 am 

Are you using a custom version of binutils also (you should be)? (Those errors typically occur when trying to assemble 32-bit code with a 64-bit assembler - is your base system 64-bit?) If you are, I'd suggest updating it to the latest version.

The assembler files that you are seeing the errors in are the intermediate files. gcc converts a C source file to assembler (which will have an arbitrary name) and then runs gas to assemble this file (and then ld to link it).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 am 

iansjack wrote:
Are you using a custom version of binutils also (you should be)?

I didn't remove the old i686-elf binutils before updating GCC, and when I check the version of i686-elf-as it's 2.28, which should be compatible with GCC 7.2.
iansjack wrote:
(Those errors typically occur when trying to assemble 32-bit code with a 64-bit assembler - is your base system 64-bit?) If you are, I'd suggest updating it to the latest version.

I'd assume i686-elf-gcc uses i686-elf-as, but I'll try and update the i686-elf binutils anyway. Or is it something else I need to update?

Also, I've checked the output of -save-temps and i686-elf-gcc is generating 32-bit assembly as it should. Is there some way to check which assembler it is using? I know it's possible to change it when compiling GCC, but that doesn't tell me what it's using now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:58 am 

Updating binutils to 2.29 did fix the assembly issue. =D>
But now I got this: #-o
Code:
arch/i386/cpu.c:200:22: sorry, unimplemented: 80387 instructions aren't allowed in interrupt service routine

Even if I use a completely empty do-nothing interrupt handler, I get that error. I guess that's what I get for using newly implemented stuff in GCC, that could probably use more testing. And I don't have floating point code in the interrupt handler or any float in the isframe structure for that matter. I guess this is what I get for relying on newly implemented compiler features. I might as well use assembly then.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:25 pm 

The recommended way to create interrupt handlers with GCC is by using an inline assembly wrapper. There are a few options listed on the wiki or you can use my version:
Code:
#define create_isr_wrapper(irq)\
uint32_t irq_##irq##_handler()\
{\
   uint32_t   current_offset;\
   asm goto("jmp %l[isr_end]":::"memory":isr_end);\
\
   isr_start:\
   asm volatile("pushal\npushl %1\ncall %0\nadd $4, %%esp\npopal\niret"::"r"((uint32_t) 0x01234567), "r"((uint32_t) irq):"memory");\
   isr_end:\
\
   current_offset = 0;\
   while (*((uint32_t*) (&&isr_start + current_offset)) != 0x01234567)\
   {\
      current_offset++;\
   }\
   *((uint32_t*) (&&isr_start + current_offset)) = irq_handler;\
   return (uint32_t) &&isr_start;\
}
This creates a macro that generates interrupt handlers. Create the handlers for each interrupt by invoking the macro:
Code:
create_isr_wrapper(0x20);
create_isr_wrapper(0x21);
create_isr_wrapper(0x22);
create_isr_wrapper(0x23);
Repeat as needed for whichever interrupts you need to handle. Each interrupt handler will call a function
Code:
void irq_handler(uint32_t irq)
where "irq" is the number of the interrupt that occurred (the same number that you pass to the macro), this function must be defined before you use the macro. Each invocation of the macro also defines a function
Code:
irq_0x20_handler()
(where 0x20 is replaced with the number of the interrupt) and when this function is called it returns the address in memory of the interrupt handler for that interrupt, this is the address that you need to put in your IDT.

Personally I found this approach somewhat neater than the ones on the wiki. I can't really remember how the macro works because it's been quite a while since I wrote it, so I can't offer any more details, sorry.

EDIT: You'll also need type "uint32_t" to be defined, if not use "typedef unsigned int uint32_t;" or replace each occurrence of "uint32_t" with "unsigned int".

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:55 pm 

If you check the intermediate assembler code you will find (almost certainly) that it is using mix registers, or some other extended features. Use the appropriate -mnoxxx (e.g. -mnommx) switch to avoid this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 am 

GCC 7 should support -mgeneral-regs-only for x86, which saves you from maintaining a -msoft-float -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx list.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:01 am 

Thanks, everyone. :D I read this:
iansjack wrote:
If you check the intermediate assembler code you will find (almost certainly) that it is using mix registers, or some other extended features. Use the appropriate -mnoxxx (e.g. -mnommx) switch to avoid this.

and got rid of the warning using the -mno-80387 option. And then I read this:
Korona wrote:
GCC 7 should support -mgeneral-regs-only for x86, which saves you from maintaining a -msoft-float -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -mno-avx list.

which also fixed it, so I've switched to that. As for
onlyonemac wrote:
The recommended way to create interrupt handlers with GCC is by using an inline assembly wrapper.

Now that I fixed the issue with the interrupt directive, I think I'll use the interrupt directive unless of course I keep running into funny issues with it, then I will definitely reconsider assembly wrappers. Also, uint32_t is defined, I'm using that type in the interrupt stack frame structure.

And I removed the error code part of the structure, since it's only exception handlers and not interrupt handlers that take those.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:28 am 

onlyonemac wrote:
EDIT: You'll also need type "uint32_t" to be defined, if not use "typedef unsigned int uint32_t;" or replace each occurrence of "uint32_t" with "unsigned int".

If you want uint32_t, you should include stdint.h. Having a different definition of uint32_t than the compiler can break things in unexpected ways.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:35 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
onlyonemac wrote:

If you want uint32_t, you should include stdint.h. Having a different definition of uint32_t than the compiler can break things in unexpected ways.
When I said uint32_t was defined, I meant I had included stdint.h. I also use uint16_t in the same file. But I guess I should have mentioned the header file was included. I assume that when onlyonemac said "you need type "uint32_t" to be defined" it didn't mean I should define it manually.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:39 am 

Octocontrabass wrote:
onlyonemac wrote:

I can't include stdint.h because there is no stdint.h. I'm not using the standard library. My understanding of C compilers is that I can define uint32_t however I want, because the compiler itself doesn't know about anything besides the primitive types (char, short, int, long, etc.) and modifiers (i.e. unsigned) and everything else is resolved to those types during compilation.

Syntax checkup:
Wrong: OS's, IRQ's, zero'ing
Right: OSes, IRQs, zeroing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:00 pm 

stdint.h is provided by the compiler, its part of C's freestanding subset.

I don't think that is the only problem of that code. WTF is that doing?
Code:
   current_offset = 0;\
   while (*((uint32_t*) (&&isr_start + current_offset)) != 0x01234567)\
   {\
      current_offset++;\
   }\
   *((uint32_t*) (&&isr_start + current_offset)) = irq_handler;

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's patching the assembly at runtime because you didn't use the correct constraint for it to accept static function pointers (IIRC it's p with a c modifier). Oh god. Not only will this fail if your code segment is write-protected (which it really should be), it is also daily WTF worthy.

Write your stubs in a real assembler file, not in some kind of hacky and unreadable inline assembler. If you really want to write it in inline assembler, use GCC's unit-level assembly extension.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].