OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: (SOLVED) BIOS services and ISRs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:50 am 

Looking at the BIOS page on the osdev wiki, I see the following line:
Quote:
BIOS calls may use interrupts, which means that ...
Does this mean that the BIOS services will depend on the default PIC configuration and can install their own ISRs in the IVT during the initialization from the option ROM, etc., or am I misunderstanding this? Not to be obstinate or mistrusting, but for reference, where is this specified - is it part of the BIOS Boot Specification? If this is not the case, can we assume that the BIOS services will never use ISRs for I/O completion and will use only polling of the controller status registers? Hopefully that is specified somewhere as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by simeonz on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BIOS services and ISRs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:04 am 

If I'm not mistaken, BIOS typically turns the floppy motor off in the timer ISR. Turning it off immediately after e.g. reading a sector/track may be inefficient as there may be another I/O operation requested promptly, so there's a couple of seconds of delay. Some other things may be implemented similarly. I vaguely recall that keyboard LEDs needed some delay when turning on and off and so that's possibly another one.

I don't think BIOS alters the IVT after it's transferred control to your OS (doing so would likely break DOS, where it was customary to hook almost everything). But before that it's probably free to do so.

Reconfiguring the PIC at runtime after transferring control to the OS... Not sure it makes a lot of sense.

Anyhow, if you want BIOS to keep functioning you should not disturb the system in major ways.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:56 am 

Thanks.

I asked for two reasons. I have always assumed that firmware services work in a self-contained fashion. Setting performance and power consumption aside, they are a miracle, in the sense that they require no interrupt management, memory management, or synchronization. They have no observable effects outside of the device they work with and outside of the scope of the invocation. The downside is that there is no SMP, multithreading, asynchronous operation, queueing or caching. However, if I interpret the statement I quoted as suggesting that the BIOS services may be allowed to hook ISRs, this becomes a different story entirely and renders the BIOS services quite more fragile.

The second reason I asked is because in the seabios sources, the code that implements int 13h for ATA tries to use dma whenever possible. The completion is detected by polling. However, I cannot see why this code wouldn't trigger irq 14 or 15 when the request finishes. Which also means that int 13h may produce observable effects outside the scope of the code inside the BIOS service and that may affect the system. This again is against my original assumption of self-containment.

The interest in self-containment originally sprung from the other recent thread about hardware abstraction in the OS here. But then I started to ponder about the BIOS services and the contracts that bind them in general.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am 

Hi,

simeonz wrote:
I asked for two reasons. I have always assumed that firmware services work in a self-contained fashion. Setting performance and power consumption aside, they are a miracle, in the sense that they require no interrupt management, memory management, or synchronization. They have no observable effects outside of the device they work with and outside of the scope of the invocation. The downside is that there is no SMP, multithreading, asynchronous operation, queueing or caching. However, if I interpret the statement I quoted as suggesting that the BIOS services may be allowed to hook ISRs, this becomes a different story entirely and renders the BIOS services quite more fragile.

I think you need to differentiate between:
  • a ROM's initialisation (where it can/will/must do things like allocate memory, hook BIOS services like "int 0x10" or "int 0x13", install any IRQ handlers, etc) and after initialisation (when you're using it). For example; if a video card's ROM doesn't replace the BIOS "int 0x10" then it's impossible for things like VBE to work; and if a SCSI controller doesn't replace the BIOS "int 0x13" then it's impossible for (SCSI) hard drives to work.
  • "BIOS services", "IRQs" and "interrupts" (which include BIOS services and IRQs). For example, the ROM for a SCSI controller or network card might use the BIOS "int 0x1A, ah=0x00, get system time" service for measuring time-outs or delays (and might have a loop, with IRQs explicitly enabled, so that the BIOS can update the system time via. the PIT's IRQ).
  • "using" and "modifying". Specifically, using an interrupt (e.g. calling "int 0x1A, ah=0x00, get system time") does not imply that the IVT/IDT was modified.

simeonz wrote:
The second reason I asked is because in the seabios sources, the code that implements int 13h for ATA tries to use dma whenever possible. The completion is detected by polling. However, I cannot see why this code wouldn't trigger irq 14 or 15 when the request finishes. Which also means that int 13h may produce observable effects outside the scope of the code inside the BIOS service and that may affect the system. This again is against my original assumption of self-containment.

The interest in self-containment originally sprung from the other recent thread about hardware abstraction in the OS here. But then I started to ponder about the BIOS services and the contracts that bind them in general.

There's no "self containment" - it's a hideous spaghetti monster where the only limit is that people writing ROMs try not to break compatibility with last year's spaghetti. ;)

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 am 

Brendan wrote:
  • a ROM's initialisation (where it can/will/must do things like allocate memory, hook BIOS services like "int 0x10" or "int 0x13", install any IRQ handlers, etc) and after initialisation (when you're using it). For example; if a video card's ROM doesn't replace the BIOS "int 0x10" then it's impossible for things like VBE to work; and if a SCSI controller doesn't replace the BIOS "int 0x13" then it's impossible for (SCSI) hard drives to work.
  • "BIOS services", "IRQs" and "interrupts" (which include BIOS services and IRQs). For example, the ROM for a SCSI controller or network card might use the BIOS "int 0x1A, ah=0x00, get system time" service for measuring time-outs or delays (and might have a loop, with IRQs explicitly enabled, so that the BIOS can update the system time via. the PIT's IRQ).
  • "using" and "modifying". Specifically, using an interrupt (e.g. calling "int 0x1A, ah=0x00, get system time") does not imply that the IVT/IDT was modified.
I understand some of the points made. I really wasn't asking about the service IVTs, because those are part of the ABI for using the BIOS services in the first place and I acknowledge that there may be dependencies between them. The self-containment that I refer to is not needing OS services. Say, PIC management. My assumption is that in theory, the bootloader or the OS, for something like DOS, should be able to install its own ISRs to handle device IRQs that they choose. And crazy as it may be, I thought it would be possible to install ISRs even for devices whose BIOS services you use. I am not encouraging such configuration, but using it for illustration. In such setup, the use of BIOS services should not, I assume, disrupt the OS or result in triggering its handlers, such as by making use of interrupt signaled I/O completion, for example. For the memory, the OS, again by my assumptions, is free to use all the memory which is reported as usable by int 15h, without worrying that any BIOS service might have increasing need for state storage while handling a request. This is what I mean by self-contained. No interactions with the system facilities, aside from constant memory storage and the pertinent device state. No globally visible events should be generated either.

You said "and might have a loop, with IRQs explicitly enabled, so that the BIOS can update the system time via. the PIT's IRQ". Now that is what I call a problem with my assumption. What governs this behavior? Is it just a state of practice or is it the bios boot specification or a newer such specification? I ask, because this really makes the BIOS services rather more invasive than just a call that deals with device registers and polls status registers or any similar approach.

Edit: A related note. UEFI I think directly specifies that it does not use any ISRs aside from a timer one. The aforementioned timers are used to schedule polling events by the device drivers. Even though UEFI advertises asynchronous I/O in the more recent specification, my understanding is that it is just one big periodic poll fest. So basically, it would be surprising to me to have more asynchronous action going on in the old firmware architecture than the new one. But nothing formally precludes it, of course.

I again looked at the SeaBIOS implementation. For int 13h, for ATA PIO, they use the nIEN bit to mask the completion interrupt at the device level, then read the status register after the operation is finished. This will correspondingly clear the IRQ, and when the nIEN is cleared to reenable the interrupts, no pending IRQ will be asserted to the CPU from the PIC side, and no interrupt line will be asserted to the PIC from the device side. For ATA dma however, they do not manipulate the nIEN. Now, this is not a forum about SeaBIOS, but my point is - these are two cases that illustrate what I expect and don't expect of a BIOS service. As in what I consider to be conforming and non-conforming behavior, according to some hypothetical requirement in some hypothetical specification.
Brendan wrote:
There's no "self containment" - it's a hideous spaghetti monster where the only limit is that people writing ROMs try not to break compatibility with last year's spaghetti.
Not to be naive, but is it so arbitrary even today? Of course, there is the "we tested Windows and it worked" mentality, but I hoped that the specifications are more authoritative at this day and age.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:50 am 

Hi,

simeonz wrote:
Brendan wrote:
I understand some of the points made. I really wasn't asking about the service IVTs, because those are part of the ABI for using the BIOS services in the first place and I acknowledge that there may be dependencies between them. The self-containment that I refer to is not needing OS services. Say, PIC management. My assumption is that in theory, the bootloader or the OS, for something like DOS, should be able to install its own ISRs to handle device IRQs that they choose. And crazy as it may be, I thought it would be possible to install ISRs even for devices whose BIOS services you use. I am not encouraging such configuration, but using it for illustration.

It's not that simple - the BIOS uses PIC (where there's 15 IRQs and most are reserved for legacy stuff), which means that most PCI devices end up sharing PIC IRQs, which means you can't replace one IRQ for one device without breaking other devices that share that IRQ.

simeonz wrote:
In such setup, the use of BIOS services should not, I assume, disrupt the OS or result in triggering its handlers, such as by making use of interrupt signaled I/O completion, for example. For the memory, the OS, again by my assumptions, is free to use all the memory which is reported as usable by int 15h, without worrying that any BIOS service might have increasing need for state storage while handling a request. This is what I mean by self-contained. No interactions with the system facilities, aside from constant memory storage and the pertinent device state. No globally visible events should be generated either.

Think of it like a kitten - you can pat it, you can feed it, etc, and that's fine - everything works because everything is contained within the kitten's skin. However; if you try to rip out it's left lung and install an alternative left lung then you can expect various problems (dead kitten) because inside that "self contained skin" there's parts that rely on each other (inter-dependencies).

simeonz wrote:
You said "and might have a loop, with IRQs explicitly enabled, so that the BIOS can update the system time via. the PIT's IRQ". Now that is what I call a problem with my assumption. What governs this behavior? Is it just a state of practice or is it the bios boot specification or a newer such specification? I ask, because this really makes the BIOS services rather more invasive than just a call that deals with device registers and polls status registers or any similar approach.

For real mode, all interrupts (IRQs, BIOS services, etc) are treated like "interrupt gate" in protected mode - the CPU automatically disables IRQs. This means that for anything that needs IRQs the BIOS has to explicitly re-enable IRQs just to work properly; and any "relatively long" BIOS function should also explicitly re-enable IRQs (because having IRQs disabled for too long causes things to break due to missed IRQs). I'd assume (for safety) that all BIOS services re-enable IRQs immediately (and then only disable them again temporarily if/when absolutely necessary), because that's how all software should be (to minimise IRQ latency); but (especially for "guaranteed always extremely fast" BIOS services) some BIOSs might not always do this.

simeonz wrote:
Edit: A related note. UEFI I think directly specifies that it does not use any ISRs aside from a timer one. The aforementioned timers are used to schedule polling events by the device drivers. Even though UEFI advertises asynchronous I/O in the more recent specification, my understanding is that it is just one big periodic poll fest. So basically, it would be surprising to me to have more asynchronous action going on in the old firmware architecture than the new one. But nothing formally precludes it, of course.

One of the things I like about UEFI is "ExitBootServices" - a clear point where ownership/control of all the hardware passes from firmware to OS. This is something that BIOS desperately lacks; but that doesn't mean you shouldn't follow the same principle and define a clear "point where ownership/control of all hardware is transferred from firmware to OS" of your own.

Also note that I think this "point where ownership/control of all hardware is transferred from firmware to OS" should be within (near the end of) the boot loader; so that the majority of the OS doesn't need to care what the firmware was (e.g. so you can have a "BIOS boot loader" and a "UEFI boot loader", and only the boot loaders need to care what the firmware is).

simeonz wrote:
Brendan wrote:
There's no "self containment" - it's a hideous spaghetti monster where the only limit is that people writing ROMs try not to break compatibility with last year's spaghetti.
Not to be naive, but is it so arbitrary even today? Of course, there is the "we tested Windows and it worked" mentality, but I hoped that the specifications are more authoritative at this day and age.

It's more the opposite. Back when DOS mattered there was a reason to care about specifications, etc (and it was easier because there was fewer kinds of devices). Now every sane OS takes control over all the hardware (and doesn't keep using random scraps of BIOS after boot, and often doesn't use any piece of BIOS after early boot) so there's a lot less reason for anyone to care about specifications (as long as boot loader can do its job).

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:34 pm 

Brendan wrote:
It's not that simple - the BIOS uses PIC (where there's 15 IRQs and most are reserved for legacy stuff), which means that most PCI devices end up sharing PIC IRQs, which means you can't replace one IRQ for one device without breaking other devices that share that IRQ.
Actually, as alexfru already pointed out, the BIOS clock update (and the aforementioned FDD motor function) do apparently use interrupt vector 0x08. Which means that the on-board firmware (may be in accordance to some authority or another) is free to install its own handler at this vector. It also means that the bootloader/OS cannot install their own ISR there without chaining to the default handler, and cannot remap the PIC vector range, unless they are prepared to break certain BIOS functions. Which still leaves the question, are there other such vectors, or is the timer one the only one? Again, what prevents a SCSI option ROM or Boot Connection Vector (if I have understood the nomenclature right) from overriding any number of interrupt vectors. What is the right conduct for a DOS-like OS or bootloader to install its own ISR?
Brendan wrote:
Think of it like a kitten - you can pat it, you can feed it, etc, and that's fine - everything works because everything is contained within the kitten's skin. However; if you try to rip out it's left lung and install an alternative left lung then you can expect various problems (dead kitten) because inside that "self contained skin" there's parts that rely on each other (inter-dependencies).
Yes, but I think you are referring to BIOS software interrupt vectors. Or may be not? I am talking about the PIC triggered hardware interrupt vectors. My question is whether those are under the discretion of the OS/bootloader, assuming that it wants to continue to use BIOS services, or are those supposed to be chained to their default BIOS implementations in all cases. And also, even if the device ROMs or motherboard BIOSes do not (are required not to) install ISRs for hardware, whether parasitic hardware interrupts are possible side-effect from calling the BIOS services. Would, say DOS, be required to always chain ISRs to the default handlers that it finds? Can using int 13h result in calls to ISR 14 and 15 as a side effect? This is the nature of my inquiry. Those are effects and constraints that I haven't found clearly specified for the time being. Apparently, one case where the OS needs to be careful is the ISR for the real-time clock at vector 0x08. But I haven't confirmed this from an official source, just unofficial IRQ numbers reference.
Brendan wrote:
For real mode, all interrupts (IRQs, BIOS services, etc) are treated like "interrupt gate" in protected mode - the CPU automatically disables IRQs. This means that for anything that needs IRQs the BIOS has to explicitly re-enable IRQs just to work properly; and any "relatively long" BIOS function should also explicitly re-enable IRQs (because having IRQs disabled for too long causes things to break due to missed IRQs). I'd assume (for safety) that all BIOS services re-enable IRQs immediately (and then only disable them again temporarily if/when absolutely necessary), because that's how all software should be (to minimise IRQ latency); but (especially for "guaranteed always extremely fast" BIOS services) some BIOSs might not always do this.
I don't know about stock motherboard firmware, but SeaBIOS apparently works under IF=0 most of the time. It reenables it when it is about to wait, and disables it again on each poll iteration, or something of the sorts. However, it is a rather complex BIOS, because they have implemented something like a scheduler, which allows interleaved processing in the pre-boot stage. After the handoff to the bootloader, I am not sure - are the service calls busy waiting or do they use HLT when possible (thus actively relying on device interrupts.) I haven't checked.
Brendan wrote:
One of the things I like about UEFI is "ExitBootServices" - a clear point where ownership/control of all the hardware passes from firmware to OS. This is something that BIOS desperately lacks; but that doesn't mean you shouldn't follow the same principle and define a clear "point where ownership/control of all hardware is transferred from firmware to OS" of your own.
I see. This is why I thought that UEFI would program and use the IDT, PIC/APIC more aggressively. At least in the more recent specifications where it also offers asynchronous I/O, I figured that it might have introduced PIC/APIC interfaces for interrupt-based I/O completion. But from what I understand so far, they chose the minimalist approach, even if slightly improved - i.e. periodic timed polling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:43 am 

Hi,

simeonz wrote:
Brendan wrote:
Actually, as alexfru already pointed out, the BIOS clock update (and the aforementioned FDD motor function) do apparently use interrupt vector 0x08. Which means that the on-board firmware (may be in accordance to some authority or another) is free to install its own handler at this vector. It also means that the bootloader/OS cannot install their own ISR there without chaining to the default handler, and cannot remap the PIC vector range, unless they are prepared to break certain BIOS functions.

It depends too much on the specific case (there's no simple/generic answer).

For the PIC chips; if you change the PICs' configuration (e.g. so that "IRQ0 -> interrupt 0x20" and "IRQ8 -> interrupt 0x28") you risk losing any IRQs that occur while you're reconfiguring the PIC chips (which can cause "who knows what" to break due to lost IRQs if the timing happens to be unfortunate) and then you'd have to uphold the BIOS's expectations by making sure that the BIOS IRQ handler is called for all IRQs (e.g. interrupt 0x08 is called when IRQ0 occurs, interrupt 0x09 is called when IRQ1 occurs, etc) and by allowing BIOS to continue sending the EOI. It's mostly a pointless waste of time trying to bother (extra risk with no benefit).

simeonz wrote:
Which still leaves the question, are there other such vectors, or is the timer one the only one?

There's no guarantee that the BIOS uses IRQ0 for floppy motor control (e.g. it could use IRQ8 - the RTC's IRQ instead). There's no guarantee that IRQ0, IRQ1, IRQ3 and IRQ4 aren't being used by BIOS as part of a convoluted legacy emulation scheme (e.g. SMM being used to make HPET emulate a PIT chip that doesn't exist, or make a USB device emulate a keyboard or mouse that doesn't exist, or make a network card emulate a serial port that doesn't exist). There's no guarantee that one of the IRQs (often IRQ9) isn't used for power management stuff. There's no guarantee that IRQs 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 or 15 aren't being used by multiple PCI devices in the background. You can expect that IRQ13 is used for FPU errors.

Essentially; you have to assume that BIOS may be using any/all IRQs for something, because there's no guarantee that it's not.

simeonz wrote:
Again, what prevents a SCSI option ROM or Boot Connection Vector (if I have understood the nomenclature right) from overriding any number of interrupt vectors.

Nothing prevents a SCSI option ROM from overriding anything; other than needing to uphold the rest of the BIOS's expectations and needing to uphold software's expectations. I would expect that some SCSI controller option ROMs hook "int 0x15" (to hide any RAM it borrows) and I'd expect all of them would hook "int 0x13" to make disk services work for SCSI, where it would pass control back to the BIOS' original "int 0x13" handler if the device isn't a SCSI device so that it can avoid breaking things like floppy or USB or ATA/SATA (possibly including modifying the "device numbers" so that when you read/write sectors on device 0x82 the SCSI ROM decides it's not a SCSI device and tells the original BIOS to read/write the sectors from device 0x80 instead of device 0x82). Note that I have heard a few horror stories (for SCSI controllers and network cards) that usually start with something like "this controller doesn't use IO ports and the memory mapped IO area that the driver needs to access is outside the 1 MiB area that real mode can access" and then becomes a massive pile of ugly hacks (e.g. the option ROMs for multiple NICs switch between real mode and protected mode).

simeonz wrote:
What is the right conduct for a DOS-like OS or bootloader to install its own ISR?

The right conduct for a DOS-like OS is to go back 30 years (to the 1980s) and achieve market dominance while being laughed at by all real OSs from the same era or earlier (Unix, VMS, etc) until it dies from embarrassment in the 1990s. This is very important because in the early years (before there was much hardware variety - SATA, USB, mouse, etc) it allows the DOS-like OS to avoid touching any hardware itself (just relying on BIOS for low-level hardware access); and then in the later years (as new types of hardware are invented) it forces hardware and ROM manufacturers (due to market dominance) to implement large quantities of ugly hacks to work-around the fact that the OS is a pathetic joke.

As far as I'm concerned; the right conduct for a boot loader is to use the firmware to prepare for whatever happens next (starting kernel, or starting whatever is between boot loader and kernel, possibly including loading an "initial RAM disk" or something into RAM so that whatever happens next doesn't need any disk or network IO), without having any reason to install any ISRs if the firmware happens to be BIOS; such that everything that happens after the boot loader is finished (after boot loader has called "exitBootServices" on UEFI, and after there's no longer any reason to uphold the firmware's expectations because the OS has officially taking control of all hardware) has no reason to know or care what the firmware was.

simeonz wrote:
Brendan wrote:
Yes, but I think you are referring to BIOS software interrupt vectors. Or may be not?

I'm talking about:
  • The contents of various areas of memory that the BIOS may rely on ("BIOS Data area" at 0x00000000, the EBDA, whatever might be in the option ROM area, and any areas reserved in the memory map for ACPI or for anything else)
  • The state of all hardware; including the chipset itself (memory controller, etc), the PIC chips and IO APICs, PCI configuration space, disk controllers, network controllers, USB controllers, etc.
  • Anything that might be involved in legacy emulation, power management or hardware error reporting (ECC, thermal and current overloads, etc)
  • Anything that might be involved in device insertion or removal (hot-plug PCI, hot-plug SATA, hot-plug memory, ..)

simeonz wrote:
I am talking about the PIC triggered hardware interrupt vectors. My question is whether those are under the discretion of the OS/bootloader, assuming that it wants to continue to use BIOS services, or are those supposed to be chained to their default BIOS implementations in all cases.

I don't know how to make this clearer. Except for a few ugly/annoying/unwanted exceptions (ACPI's AML, SMM, UEFI run-time services maybe), either:
  • the firmware has ownership of all hardware (and the OS doesn't touch any hardware directly), or
  • the OS has ownership of all hardware (and ensures that the firmware doesn't touch any hardware directly), or
  • it's a festering nightmare that needs to die

simeonz wrote:
And also, even if the device ROMs or motherboard BIOSes do not (are required not to) install ISRs for hardware, whether parasitic hardware interrupts are possible side-effect from calling the BIOS services. Would, say DOS, be required to always chain ISRs to the default handlers that it finds? Can using int 13h result in calls to ISR 14 and 15 as a side effect? This is the nature of my inquiry.

It's probably best to think of MS-DOS as "a set of BIOS extensions with a shell slapped on top" (and stop thinking of it as an OS). Because it's mostly BIOS extensions it follows similar rules to other BIOS extensions (e.g. option ROMs) in that it can do whatever it likes as long as it upholds the rest of the BIOS's expectations and upholds software's expectations. This causes a need for a huge amount of ugly hacks and work-arounds and sacrifices (to uphold those expectations) where (as hardware evolved and new features are added - e.g. 32-bit, SMP/multi-CPU, APICs, ...) that "huge amount" grows over time. That huge amount became "too much to be sustainable" decades ago.

Note: Microsoft had to have known DOS was a dead end in the late 1980s, but they couldn't suddenly announce "DOS is dead, stop using it immediately" without losing all their existing customers, their market share and their monopoly. They needed to ween people away from DOS (and towards the Windows NT kernel and a more modern API) slowly (including using "Windows 9x" as a temporary bridge between the past that had to die and a sustainable future). It's this "slow weening to preserve Microsoft's market share/profits" that is the reason why DOS took a decade longer to die than it should have.

simeonz wrote:
I don't know about stock motherboard firmware, but SeaBIOS apparently works under IF=0 most of the time. It reenables it when it is about to wait, and disables it again on each poll iteration, or something of the sorts. However, it is a rather complex BIOS, because they have implemented something like a scheduler, which allows interleaved processing in the pre-boot stage. After the handoff to the bootloader, I am not sure - are the service calls busy waiting or do they use HLT when possible (thus actively relying on device interrupts.) I haven't checked.

SeaBIOS is open source; which literally means "let's get some volunteers that have no clue what they're doing and let them slap together something that's barely good enough to start a modern OS (that doesn't have a reason to care about the BIOS for more than about 3 microseconds after power on) and doesn't have to care about thousands of different devices that can't be plugged into the computer because Qemu doesn't emulate them". There's no reason to care what SeaBIOS does - to ensure that there's no problem for any computer's BIOS you'd have to examine the code for several thousand different BIOSs (or alternatively, refuse to rely on potentially dodgy assumptions because you aren't able to ensure there's no problem for any computer's BIOS).

simeonz wrote:
Brendan wrote:
I see. This is why I thought that UEFI would program and use the IDT, PIC/APIC more aggressively. At least in the more recent specifications where it also offers asynchronous I/O, I figured that it might have introduced PIC/APIC interfaces for interrupt-based I/O completion. But from what I understand so far, they chose the minimalist approach, even if slightly improved - i.e. periodic timed polling.

UEFI is supposed to be a portable thing (with no platform specific requirements). Originally it was implemented for Itanium (which doesn't have "80x86 PIC chips" or "80x86 IO APICs"); then it made it's way to 80x86 PCs; and now it's being used for ARM servers (which don't have "80x86 PIC chips" or "80x86 IO APICs").

For 80x86 PCs alone; PIC chips are deprecated (superseded by IO APICs about 15 years ago) and as soon as UEFI finishes replacing BIOS (and all the "compatibility requirements" disappear) I'd expect the PIC to no longer exist. Note: There's been a "computer does/doesn't have PIC chips" flag in ACPI's tables for as long as I can remember - they're just waiting for hardware to catch up). For IO APICs; PCI devices moved to MSI (Message Signalled Interrupts) as an optional thing in PCI 2.2 (in 1998), and made it mandatory for PCI express (in 2004). In 10 years time I wouldn't be too surprised if IO APIC ceases to exist too (there's a very small number of devices that aren't already able to use MSI and haven't been superseded yet - the RTC chip is the only one I can think of).

Cheers,

Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 am 

That makes sense. I was under the delusion that there is a clearly defined boundary for the resources that BIOS wont touch. That MS was acting under official mandate to mix-in with the BIOS control over the hardware and interrupt resources when they were developing DOS. Not for any other reason, but because they had enough gravity to influence the standardization process implicitly and to acquire the proper formal grounds to develop with this architecture, but I can understand the logic that it was more of a firmware extension of sorts.

Thanks!