OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New to OS Development from complete scratch
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:56 pm 

Hello, name is Alex.
Quick background: 24 years old, been an IT guy for about 5 years now, while bouncing around an array of community colleges doing different computer dev programs(not finishing any of them. I'm to the point where I can teach myself the basics of a language in a pretty quick amount of time. Anyways, that's where my knowledge is at.

I'm looking to start an ongoing project for myself where I will developing an OS for myself. Starting out simple and over time making it more complex.

My question is, I'm just looking for some quick pointers, things to look out for, maybe some resources that tend to be pretty handy with you guys.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New to OS Development from complete scratch
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 pm 

alexpriceanders wrote:
I'm looking to start an ongoing project for myself where I will developing an OS for myself. Starting out simple and over time making it more complex.

My question is, I'm just looking for some quick pointers, things to look out for, maybe some resources that tend to be pretty handy with you guys.

First, read about the different types of kernels (micro, mono, exo, etc) and decide which you want to test first.

This forum is a good resource, I'd recommend reading the theory section (it's generally more interesting for me). So read a few threads there every day, you'll get ideas. If a thread is boring, skip to next one.

The sites wiki is also useful.

And finally of course Intel and AMD manuals, they are the reference after all. Learn to understand how the different hardware pieces are connected and where to find their manuals (or data sheets), the wiki often has links.

Linux source can be used, but generally isn't as easy to follow and isn't necessarily easy to find the relevant code if you haven't spent a lot of time with it, but on the other hand "it works". So if you have trouble understanding how some specific piece of HW works, that may be a potential source of information.

I'll mention the Intel/AMD manuals again, refer to them when in doubt. Personally I still often use the "original" 80386 manuals occasionally because it's short and easy to read, the newer one I'll use if I need something specific for newer features (including long mode) or something related to optimizations. All the basic stuff is still the same, so the 386 manual still applies largely.

Decide early on:
- Whether you want to do C (or higher level) or asm coding, I'd recommend against asm. The perceived benefits aren't there, only use it if you have specific interest in asm.
- 32-bit (prot mode) or 64-bit (long mode), I'd stick to just one of them initially. (I'd recommend long mode)
- Whether you want to create your own bootloader or not, I'd suggest not, use GRUB instead. The bootloader isn't interesting for most people, there's not really anything to innovate there (unless you have some idea). You can always do it later if you want.

Also, read the wiki:
- getting started
- bare bones
- cross compiler (DO NOT SKIP THIS - YOU'LL REGRET IT)
- beginner mistakes

I'm sure others will add, hopefully some of this is useful..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:45 pm 

Hi alexpriceanders,

I recently did a brain dump thread on twitter with lots of osdev newbie advice. Perhaps some of the thoughts apply to you. Plenty of good stuff in my opinion.

sortie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:37 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys!