OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Common pitfalls
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 pm 

Assembly is not the best language for OSDeving, it's incredibly architecture dependent and trying to port a big kernel to another architecture would require you to virtually rewrite the whole kernel. C is perfectly good for OSDev, hell, even C++ is fine. Assembly, however, is not fine if you want to run on multiple architectures. You're just spitting bullshit to beginners, misguiding them. You called iansjack a liar, yet you're the one lying and giving bad advice to beginners. You're rude to people, and you just say nonsense. Stop, please.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:49 pm 

Elttob wrote:
And anyway, most people do it in C. If I do it in C, then more people can help out if I run into a serious issue.

That's also a good reason to use C, and another reason to use pretty much any higher level language is that most people here don't have that much time on their hands (even if it sometimes looks like they do) and reading assembly takes more time to reason about potential corner cases than C does. I for instance rarely try to decipher other people's assembly, unless it's something obvious.

Or maybe it's just me =)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:58 pm 

one common pitfall is distraction. if you find yourself involved in forum debates on clueless topics like "use assembly/don't use assembly", it's a sign of a distraction gotcha.