OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: IDT Errors? Exception 6 (Invalid Opcode)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm 

Hello, first off if you've clicked this and are here to help I would like to express a thank you. I'm having a problem with my IDT implementation (which I hear is common) that I haven't been able to fix after rewrites, looking at functioning IDT code, and browsing this forum with the obvious search parameters. As the title suggests my IDT malfunctions producing an invalid opcode exception when it should actually be reporting a division by zero exception. Because my assembly file is so long I'll post a pastebin of it and other code related to it. If it helps I've been making my way through Bran's kernel tutorials so it looks basically like that (with some additional discrepancy, apparently).

IDT: https://pastebin.com/ifSit15p
Kernel main (with testing code): https://pastebin.com/CgfVEhYg
Boot (assembly): https://pastebin.com/0cFgZvYf

If there's anything I can do to make this problem more amenable to helping (like posting my GDT, could that be related?), I'd be happy to post that but this seems like the relevant sources to me. Also, I'm new to OS development (~ 1 week, but I have been programming for years!), so please forgive my ignorance! Thank you :)

Post subject: Re: IDT Errors? Exception 6 (Invalid Opcode)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:36 pm 

What are you using for testing? Qemu?

I'd suggest debugging, for example gdb and seeing the actual instruction that causes exception as well as checking the relevant registers at that point. Sooner or later you will have to start debugging anyway, so this is as good a time as any to start.

This may be of use: http://wiki.osdev.org/Kernel_Debugging#Use_GDB_with_QEMU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:46 am 

underscoretanner wrote:
As the title suggests my IDT malfunctions producing an invalid opcode exception when it should actually be reporting a division by zero exception.

I don't see anything in your code that should produce #DE. If you're talking about this line:

Code:
putc('A' / 0);

That is a constant expression, and the compiler will attempt to fold it to a constant value. Since the division is happening at compile time instead of at run time, there will be no #DE here. (Of course, since division by zero is undefined behavior in C, the compiler may do all sorts of wacky things, including assuming this line of code must be unreachable and removing all code paths that lead to it.)

With that said, you probably still shouldn't be getting #UD from this. Now would be a great time to look into using a debugger, although it might be possible to locate the cause just by analyzing a disassembly of your kernel.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

Hi,

Octocontrabass wrote:
underscoretanner wrote:
As the title suggests my IDT malfunctions producing an invalid opcode exception when it should actually be reporting a division by zero exception.

I don't see anything in your code that should produce #DE. If you're talking about this line:

Code:
putc('A' / 0);

That is a constant expression, and the compiler will attempt to fold it to a constant value. Since the division is happening at compile time instead of at run time, there will be no #DE here. (Of course, since division by zero is undefined behavior in C, the compiler may do all sorts of wacky things, including assuming this line of code must be unreachable and removing all code paths that lead to it.)

With that said, you probably still shouldn't be getting #UD from this. Now would be a great time to look into using a debugger, although it might be possible to locate the cause just by analyzing a disassembly of your kernel.

Unfortunately, in some cases GCC responds to undefined behaviour by inserting a "UD2" instruction, because someone decided that generating a compile time error would have made it too easy for people to figure out where a problem is. Note: The "UD2" instruction is designed specifically to cause an undefined opcode exception.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:39 pm 

Brendan wrote:
Hi,
Unfortunately, in some cases GCC responds to undefined behaviour by inserting a "UD2" instruction, because someone decided that generating a compile time error would have made it too easy for people to figure out where a problem is. Note: The "UD2" instruction is designed specifically to cause an undefined opcode exception.

Do you have any background on that? If it's known at compile time that it's UB then why insert runtime #UD2 instead of doing the sane thing and giving a compile time error?

I'm hoping there's a better reason than stupidity, but there have been some pretty stupid decisions with GCC development in the past..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm 

LtG wrote:
Brendan wrote:
Hi,
Do you have any background on that? If it's known at compile time that it's UB then why insert runtime #UD2 instead of doing the sane thing and giving a compile time error?

I'm hoping there's a better reason than stupidity, but there have been some pretty stupid decisions with GCC development in the past..

I think this explains it a bit:
http://blog.llvm.org/2011/05/what-every-c-programmer-should-know.html

So my guess is that the compilers only do it for the dynamic (runtime) cases, because it's the only reasonable thing to do if it's not known at compile time. Maybe some cases that could be proven to be compile time just aren't analyzed deeply enough and they "fall thru" to dynamic and thus runtime #UD2. If that's the case then I do think it's reasonable for sake of higher performance...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:39 pm 

Brendan wrote:
The OP ought to be able to check that possibility very easily by inspecting the generated code.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:24 pm 

It seems that Brendan is exactly correct. I have since been able to produce a division by zero exception by disabling optimizations, which makes sense. So it seems to me that this is more of a quirk of GCC rather than something indicative of a problem, however, I was troubled that Bran's guide seems to recommend this as a test for the IDT when it seems not to work with his recommended O2 optimizations. Also, regarding debugging, I should definitely get the hang of that in the OS world. Thank you all for your links and insight! Glad to join the forum :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm 

Hi,

underscoretanner wrote:
It seems that Brendan is exactly correct. I have since been able to produce a division by zero exception by disabling optimizations, which makes sense. So it seems to me that this is more of a quirk of GCC rather than something indicative of a problem, however, I was troubled that Bran's guide seems to recommend this as a test for the IDT when it seems not to work with his recommended O2 optimizations. Also, regarding debugging, I should definitely get the hang of that in the OS world. Thank you all for your links and insight! Glad to join the forum :)

I wouldn't be too surprised if the code in Bran's Kernel Development tutorial "worked" when it was originally written/published (over a decade ago). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be updated by it's original author (and isn't on in a Wiki where other people can change it), so there's no warnings or corrections for newer versions of GCC (or anything else).

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.