OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: [Solved] Linking c file without including it causes reboo...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:25 pm 

I am trying to develop an OS, mainly to learn about whats going on 'under the hood', and I am having trouble enabling paging. When I simply link the paging.c file with the rest of my c files, without ever mentioning it in another file, I get an endless reboot cycle. If I don't link the file but keep everything else the same, it works. So far I have tried to move my stack out of the way (from 0x9000 to 0xF000), and it has had no effect. I am open to suggestions and I am willing to post my code if needed.

My linking command (in my Makefile):
Code:
ld -Ttext 0x1000 -m elf_i386 -o kernel/kernel.bin $^ --oformat binary

Hope you see something I don't.

Last edited by BluCode on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Linking c file without including it causes reboot cycle.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 pm 

What about the order in which your C files end up in the binary? May that be screwing up the entry point?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 pm 

Two things:

- Why run ld manually? Linking with gcc or g++ will call the linker under the hood

- Why specify text manually? You might as well use a linker script.

Also 0x1000 is unusual. The most common place to load the kernel is at the 1MB mark as that's safe enough to avoid anything that's loaded below it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:32 am 

Run it under a debugger.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:35 am 

A guess; since you're loading your kernel at a "low" address, you have (approximately; there are complications) 636KB (since you're loading at the 4KB mark) of memory before you hit the legacy ROM/MMIO area (the 384KB just below the 1MB boundary).

When you link this extra file into your kernel, it increases the size of the file so it no longer fits into that small RAM space, so your loader attempts to overwrite ROM, write to non-existent memory, etc. and the system resets in response.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:26 am 

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

alexfru wrote:
What about the order in which your C files end up in the binary? May that be screwing up the entry point?

No, I use an entry assembly script that calls my 'start' c function, so thats not it.

goku420 wrote:
- Why run ld manually? Linking with gcc or g++ will call the linker under the hood

- Why specify text manually? You might as well use a linker script.

Also 0x1000 is unusual. The most common place to load the kernel is at the 1MB mark as that's safe enough to avoid anything that's loaded below it.

1) I've heard about that, but never found how to use it. Please elaborate on how I could do that.

2) I have tried using a linker script but it messed up my .rodata sections (I couldn't print pre-defined strings). Any help with that would also be appreciated.

3) I am using my own bootloader, which, being 16 bit and only having a 16 bit disk read function, can only load the kernel to 0xFFFF.

iansjack wrote:
Run it under a debugger.

Please elaborate, it sounds useful in the future.

mallard wrote:
A guess; since you're loading your kernel at a "low" address, you have (approximately; there are complications) 636KB (since you're loading at the 4KB mark) of memory before you hit the legacy ROM/MMIO area (the 384KB just below the 1MB boundary).

When you link this extra file into your kernel, it increases the size of the file so it no longer fits into that small RAM space, so your loader attempts to overwrite ROM, write to non-existent memory, etc. and the system resets in response.

Good insight, but I can't figure out how I would go about loading the kernel somewhere high, like 1M, seeing as I am using a 16 bit bootloader and 16 bit disk read function.

Thanks for all your help so far!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:39 am 

Presumably you are testing your kernel with an emulator/virtual machine rather than on real hardware. (If not, you should.) Qemu is a good choice, and it can be used in conjunction with gdb to debug the kernel: http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Debugging

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:49 am 

Yes, I am using qemu. I tried to use gdb but I couldn't figure out how to get a symbol file from my kernel.bin. It would be really advantageous to get that working though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 am 

BluCode wrote:
Good insight, but I can't figure out how I would go about loading the kernel somewhere high, like 1M, seeing as I am using a 16 bit bootloader and 16 bit disk read function.

If your kernel is small enough to fit in low memory, you can load it all in real mode and then copy it above 1M after you switch to protected mode.

It's also possible to load part of the kernel in real mode, switch to protected mode to copy that part above 1M, then switch back to real mode and repeat until the entire kernel is loaded.

My favorite option is to install a GPF handler that switches to unreal mode for transparent 32-bit addressing, although you probably don't need something that complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:34 am 

BluCode wrote:
Yes, I am using qemu. I tried to use gdb but I couldn't figure out how to get a symbol file from my kernel.bin. It would be really advantageous to get that working though.
Produce an elf file as well as a binary file, and use that as the file you "load" to provide symbols. Or, without symbols, you can still use gdb to debug at the assembler level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 am 

BluCode wrote:

An observation. If you want a symbol file don't use GCC/LD to output as binary. Output as ELF (with the symbols) and then use Objcopy to convert the ELF to binary.
Code:
ld -Ttext 0x1000 -m elf_i386 -o kernel/kernel.elf <list of objects>
objcopy -O binary kernel.elf kernel.bin

this would generate an intermediate ELF file called `kernel.elf` that is then converted into `kernel.bin`.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:02 am 

If you had a project available (github etc) we could have a look.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:20 pm 

MichaelPetch wrote:

Don't forget you need a cross compiler: http://wiki.osdev.org/GCC_Cross-Compiler

The name is fitting: Century Hobby OS -- At this rate, it's gonna take me that long!
Read about my mistakes and missteps with this iteration: Journal

"Sometimes things just don't make sense until you figure them out." -- Phil Stahlheber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:23 pm 

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but you should think if you want to do osdev or write a bootloader, the two are almost completely different, in design and goals.

If you don't care about bootloaders then use GRUB or some other existing one, and it's their responsibility to load your binary, if you want to do a bootloader then do that, but it doesn't really have much to do with osdev, except it's job is to load some OS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 pm 

Octocontrabass wrote:
If your kernel is small enough to fit in low memory, you can load it all in real mode and then copy it above 1M after you switch to protected mode.

It's also possible to load part of the kernel in real mode, switch to protected mode to copy that part above 1M, then switch back to real mode and repeat until the entire kernel is loaded.

My favorite option is to install a GPF handler that switches to unreal mode for transparent 32-bit addressing, although you probably don't need something that complicated.

All good ideas, I'll look into them in the future.

iansjack wrote:
Produce an elf file as well as a binary file, and use that as the file you "load" to provide symbols. Or, without symbols, you can still use gdb to debug at the assembler level.
MichaelPetch wrote:
An observation. If you want a symbol file don't use GCC/LD to output as binary. Output as ELF (with the symbols) and then use Objcopy to convert the ELF to binary.
Code:

this would generate an intermediate ELF file called `kernel.elf` that is then converted into `kernel.bin`.

Using these two replies and the wiki article on debugging with QEMU I got it working, thanks!

MichaelPetch wrote:
If you had a project available (github etc) we could have a look.

I'll probably move there soon, and I'll let you know if and when I do.

LtG wrote:
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but you should think if you want to do osdev or write a bootloader, the two are almost completely different, in design and goals.

If you don't care about bootloaders then use GRUB or some other existing one, and it's their responsibility to load your binary, if you want to do a bootloader then do that, but it doesn't really have much to do with osdev, except it's job is to load some OS.

Good point, but since this is mainly to learn about all of whats going on under the hood I'm doing both, please and thank you. :P

Also good and bad news, I solved the original issue, I wasn't reading enough sectors from the disk. The bad news is that paging isn't working, but thanks to you guys I should be able to use gdb and find the problem.