OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Intel PRO/1000 spams interrupts in VirtualBox
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm 

(just to clarify, those addresses are mapped to the I/O APIC register space)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm 

Hi,

mariuszp wrote:
I've done as you said but there is a problem. I have a function called irqMask() which masks interrupts, and irqUnmask() which unmasks them:

mariuszp wrote:
Now when I test it on his VirtualBox installation - ONLY THAT ONE - the OS is once again stuck, handling interrupts indefinitely as they arrive (it seems). If you send an NMI, it is ALWAYS on some instruction within irqMask() or irqUnmask(), which comes right after reading from (*iowin). Is it a problem with those 2 functions (as shown above) or coudl it still something else?

I'm a bit confused.

If you did what I suggested, you'd only be calling "irqUnmask()" once when initialising a driver and only calling "irqMask()" once when terminating a driver. In that case it'd be possible (if something is wrong elsewhere) to get "IRQ flood" constantly interrupting
an instruction within "irqUnmask()" when initialising a driver, but not possible/likely to be constantly interrupting an instruction within "irqMask()" because the "IRQ flood" would cause problems before you terminate the driver.

In any case; I'd be tempted to suspect that you're messing with the wrong IO APIC entry in the first place. For example, rather than doing the "correct but hard" thing (which requires the use of ACPI AML to figure out which IO APIC input the PCI device actually uses) maybe you've done some kind of "easy but broken" thing that only works on some computers by accident.

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:34 pm 

I mask the interrupt, send EOI, and then unmask it once the driver plays with the appropriate register.

I derive the PCI IRQ routing via ACPICA, I don't just look at the MADT.

What's happening is that the system crashes at one point (after initiailizing the keyboard, for some reason; but that's possibly a coincidence), and when interrupted with an NMI, I *always* catch it inside the irqMask() or irqUnmask() function, on the instruction that follows a read from (*iowin). The interrupts are disabled at this point (as confirmed by the pushed RFLAGS value); however, it is definetely not *stuck* there, because each time it is interrupted, the stack trace below irqMask()/irqUnmask() is competly different (it's running in different threads).

EDIT: Furthermore, I only seem to see 2 stacks: the keyboard driver's interrupt handling thread, and the Intel PRO/1000 driver's interrupt handling thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:11 pm 

Hi,

mariuszp wrote:
I mask the interrupt, send EOI, and then unmask it once the driver plays with the appropriate register.

I suspected...

The "mask then EOI early, then unmask at the end" scheme is an ancient hack used by some kernels to bypass the IRQ priority scheme in PIC chips, because the IRQ priority scheme in PIC chips is hard-wired and relatively silly (e.g. high performance devices like NICs end up with very low priority IRQs, while low performance devices like PS/2 keyboard ends up with very high priority IRQ).

For APICs the kernel controls the IRQ priority scheme directly (kernel decides what the IRQ's priority should be and selects the "interrupt vector" to reflect that), so there's very little reason to want "mask then EOI early, then unmask at the end".

Also note that for micro-kernels with drivers in user-space; the IRQ priority scheme is mostly irrelevant. The IRQ priority scheme determines the order IRQs are received by kernel, which determines the order kernel sends "IRQ occurred notifications" to threads in user-space (which usually causes the thread/s to be unblocked); but its the scheduler that decides which thread in user space will run when you switch from kernel back to user-space and not the IRQ priority scheme. For this reason, doing extra work (diddling with masking/unmasking IRQs) isn't going to make any difference or be worthwhile.

mariuszp wrote:
I derive the PCI IRQ routing via ACPICA, I don't just look at the MADT.

How can you figure out how many IO APICs there are (and the physical address of each one) without looking at the MADT?

mariuszp wrote:
What's happening is that the system crashes at one point (after initiailizing the keyboard, for some reason; but that's possibly a coincidence), and when interrupted with an NMI, I *always* catch it inside the irqMask() or irqUnmask() function, on the instruction that follows a read from (*iowin). The interrupts are disabled at this point (as confirmed by the pushed RFLAGS value); however, it is definetely not *stuck* there, because each time it is interrupted, the stack trace below irqMask()/irqUnmask() is competly different (it's running in different threads).

EDIT: Furthermore, I only seem to see 2 stacks: the keyboard driver's interrupt handling thread, and the Intel PRO/1000 driver's interrupt handling thread.

This is the same "IRQ flood" problem that Korona (correctly) diagnosed and described days ago.

Essentially; a device tells the IO APIC that it wants an IRQ, the IO APIC tells the CPU, the IRQ handler doesn't service the device but does EOI (with or without pointless masking/unmasking in there somewhere); and after this the device is still telling the IO APIC it wants an IRQ (because the driver didn't service the device properly) so the IO APIC tells the CPU again and.... this results in constant IRQs that never stop. You check the instruction at EIP (at any point in time) and it has to be something that's executed during IRQ handling because that's all the CPU is (repeatedly) executing.

There are only 3 likely causes of "IRQ flood":
  • You have no driver for the device causing the IRQ (and failed to "logically disconnect" the device from the PCI bus and/or failed to leave that IRQ masked)
  • You do have a driver for the device causing the IRQ and it fails to service the device properly (e.g. maybe the device is trying to tell you something like "my buffer is full" and your device driver is not doing anything to empty the buffer).
  • You messed up the IRQ routing (e.g. wrong device driver notified when IRQ occurs)

Cheers,

Brendan

For all things; perfection is, and will always remain, impossible to achieve in practice. However; by striving for perfection we create things that are as perfect as practically possible. Let the pursuit of perfection be our guide.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:15 am 

Brendan wrote:
The "mask then EOI early, then unmask at the end" scheme is an ancient hack used by some kernels to bypass the IRQ priority scheme in PIC chips, because the IRQ priority scheme in PIC chips is hard-wired and relatively silly (e.g. high performance devices like NICs end up with very low priority IRQs, while low performance devices like PS/2 keyboard ends up with very high priority IRQ).

I would not call it a hack. It is true that you don't necessarily need the mask-then-EOI scheme if you're (a) using the I/O APIC and (b) ensure that EOIs are sent in the correct order. For microkernels the latter requires a priority-aware scheduler and the priorities of driver threads have to exactly match the IRQ priority (which is probably what you should be doing anyways). Note that it might still make sense to mask-then-EOI because doing that does not block a whole priority level but only a IRQ line (or a single device if you e.g. mask in the PCI control register). More importantly it enables the scheduler to do better decisions: If there are multiple IRQs of the same priority then all their handlers are woken up simultaneously and the scheduler gets to decide which ones to run first. This is likely better than the random decision by the APIC.

And for the XT-PIC the scheme is always necessary, because its priorities are stupid (as you said).

Regaeding the IRQ flood: Do you invoke the \_PIC AML control method to tell the firmware that you're using the APIC model, before reading _PRT? Interrupt routing might differ between the XT-PIC and the I/O APIC. For example some ICHs route PCI interrupts to IRQs 16-23 in APIC mode.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:22 am 

Sorry,i meant i look at both the MADT and IRQ.from ACPICA.

I do not invoke the \_PIC method directly, and im not sure if ACPICA does this, i will have to check that.
But now, its not just PCI interrupts... The keyboard driver seems to get stuck servicing IRQ1 too.
I mask an interrupt when it arrives, and i unmask only once rhe interrupt has been serviced by a driver. In the PRO/1000 case, this is after i read the ICR and it is nonzero. For the keyboard driver, it is immediately if IRQ1 arrives. So if thePRO/1000 interrupt gets unblocked, it must be because aomething in tge ICR has been set...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:57 pm 

Now it floods IRQ1... but nothing in it changed, except that it is now masked before EOI, and unmasked when the keyboard handler is called..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm 

Hi,

mariuszp wrote:
Now it floods IRQ1... but nothing in it changed, except that it is now masked before EOI, and unmasked when the keyboard handler is called..

That's impossible; unless you've mis-configured the corresponding IO APIC input (e.g. used "level triggered" when the MADT says it should be "edge triggered").

Note: I tried to figure out what's going on (using the link to your source in your signature) and got lost. It's hard to navigate unfamiliar projects (especially when they're "larger"), and significantly worse when it's all jumbled up - e.g. "apic.c" containing almost nothing (with no indication if it's "local APIC" or "IO APIC" or both); and "idt.c" containing an eclectic mixture of stuff that has nothing to do with the IDT (including random scraps of IO APIC code). I failed to find any code to initialise the IO APIC at all.

Cheers,

Brendan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 am 

Brendan wrote:
Hi,

mariuszp wrote:

That's impossible; unless you've mis-configured the corresponding IO APIC input (e.g. used "level triggered" when the MADT says it should be "edge triggered").

Note: I tried to figure out what's going on (using the link to your source in your signature) and got lost. It's hard to navigate unfamiliar projects (especially when they're "larger"), and significantly worse when it's all jumbled up - e.g. "apic.c" containing almost nothing (with no indication if it's "local APIC" or "IO APIC" or both); and "idt.c" containing an eclectic mixture of stuff that has nothing to do with the IDT (including random scraps of IO APIC code). I failed to find any code to initialise the IO APIC at all.

Cheers,

Brendan

https://github.com/madd-games/glidix/bl ... acpi.c#L88

And irqMask() and irqUnmask() are in idt.c.

The flood begins at (modules/ps2kbd.c):

Code:
outb(0x64, 0x20);

Note that if irqMask() and irqUnmask() are NEVER called, the keyboard IRQ flood does not happen.Is something wrong with them?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am 

If i only call irqUnmask() once the keyboard and mouse are fully initialized (for IRQ1 and IRQ12), it boots further but still gets stuck later. And EVERY TIME i send an NMI, it is ALWAYs stuck in irqMask() or irqUnmask(), and ALWAYS on an instruction following a read/write.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 pm 

I changed the code so that it only masks level-triggered interrupts and never edge-triggered. Now it correctly receives all interrupts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 pm 

Hi,

mariuszp wrote:
I changed the code so that it only masks level-triggered interrupts and never edge-triggered. Now it correctly receives all interrupts.

The code to parse "Interrupt Source Override Structures" (in ACPI's MADT) overlooks the fact that for both the polarity flags and the trigger mode flags "00b = conforms to the specifications of the bus". In this case you're supposed to use the "source bus type" to determine what the polarity and trigger mode actually are. For example, something like:

Code:
    if(polarity_flags == 00b) {
        switch(source_bus_type) {
            case ISA:
                polarity_flags = ACTIVE_HIGH;
                break;
            case PCI:
                polarity_flags = ACTIVE_LOW;
                break;
            default:
                // PANIC! Unknown or unsupported bus (EISA, MCA?)
                break;
        }
    if(trigger_mode_flags == 00b) {
        switch(source_bus_type) {
            case ISA:
                polarity_flags = EDGE;
                break;
            case PCI:
                polarity_flags = LEVEL;
                break;
            default:
                // PANIC! Unknown or unsupported bus (EISA, MCA?)
                break;
        }

Also; I think you're doing "if ((irqFlags[i] & 0x30) == 0x30)" to determine trigger mode (at line 112 in "acpi.c") and that this is wrong and should be "if ((irqFlags[i] & 0x0C) == 0x0C)". If I'm right; it'd mean all level triggered IRQs are being treated as edge triggered.

I'd also recommend using your own flags, where a single bit is used for "level or edge triggered" and a single bit is used for "active high/low" (so that you don't need to care about the hideously ugly/silly "conforms to bus" and "reserved" mess that ACPI's flags have).

Don't forget that accessing the IO APIC is significantly slower than accessing normal RAM. It's "uncached", and typically it's in the "PCI to LPC" bridge with all the other slow legacy devices where your accesses have to go across slow PCI buses. For every IRQ you are doing 24 writes to the "regsel", 24 reads from "iowin" and one write to "iowin" to mask the IRQ, and then the same again later to unmask the IRQ. This adds up to a total of 98 significantly slow IO APIC register accesses for every IRQ. I still think "mask then EOI early, then unmask" is stupid (e.g. including breaking "send to lowest priority" and ruining hardware's ability to automatically balance IRQs across CPUs); but if you're going to do it then it can be done far more efficiently, with a total of 4 significantly slow IO APIC register accesses (that could've been avoided) for every IRQ instead of 98 of them.

Cheers,

Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:41 am 

Masking edge-triggered IRQs is problematic because you might lose an IRQ if the edge-triggered IRQ is raised while it is masked. This cannot happen for level-triggered IRQs.

Brendan wrote:
Don't forget that accessing the IO APIC is significantly slower than accessing normal RAM. It's "uncached", and typically it's in the "PCI to LPC" bridge with all the other slow legacy devices where your accesses have to go across slow PCI buses. For every IRQ you are doing 24 writes to the "regsel", 24 reads from "iowin" and one write to "iowin" to mask the IRQ, and then the same again later to unmask the IRQ. This adds up to a total of 98 significantly slow IO APIC register accesses for every IRQ. I still think "mask then EOI early, then unmask" is stupid (e.g. including breaking "send to lowest priority" and ruining hardware's ability to automatically balance IRQs across CPUs); but if you're going to do it then it can be done far more efficiently, with a total of 4 significantly slow IO APIC register accesses (that could've been avoided) for every IRQ instead of 98 of them.

Agreed. The __sync_synchronize() calls are unecessary too. __sync_synchronize() translates to mfence. However volatile gurantees that your compiler does not reorder accesses to the register and the "uncached" MTRR guarantees that the CPU does not reorder/cache accesses.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:05 am 

Hi,

Korona wrote:
Agreed. The __sync_synchronize() calls are unecessary too. __sync_synchronize() translates to mfence. However volatile gurantees that your compiler does not reorder accesses to the register and the "uncached" MTRR guarantees that the CPU does not reorder/cache accesses.

Yes.

I'd also recommend having nice little "write_IOAPIC_register()" function and a "read_IOAPIC_register()" function; that acquires a lock, then sets "regsel" and read or writes to "iowin", then releases the lock. Without this (for multi-CPU) there's a risk that one CPU will set "regsel", then another CPU will set "regsel", then the first CPU will read or write to the wrong register.

Of course then you have to worry about using locks from within IRQ handlers (ensuring IRQs are disabled to avoid deadlocks, and spinning before you can acquire the lock, and lock contention).

Cheers,

Brendan