OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New to the forums
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm 

Hello all!

I've been interested in OS dev for several years and I've read through these forums and pages of the wiki countless times too. I only started my own serious project just recently, however, and thought it was about time I became more active in it and introduced myself. Computers have always been my number one fascination and this has been my most interesting learning experience by far. I love learning as much as I can about computer science and programming and I feel like this takes it to the next level. I dropped out of school years ago but I am definitely ready to go back (electrical/computer engineering).

Recently, I have been feeling a little disoriented. There are a lot of options and directions for things I can start working on, but they all seem to a degree co-dependent on each other and sometimes a little blurry to me. So I'd like to ask for feedback or advice, if anyone's curious enough to take a look at my project so far. I'd also like to point out that there are a few borrowed portions of code in there.

https://github.com/tevonial/tevix/

Post subject: Re: New to the forums
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:57 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forums!

You already have some memory management and multi-tasking code which is good because it helps a lot with getting all other things to work. From here on you can basically implement anything you want: You add drivers for more advanced hardware devices, you could implement user-space programs (e.g. a pretty GUI or some tools like a text editor or file browser) or you could extend your kernel with additional features like IPC. Is there any specific direction that you want to pursue next?

As for dropping out of school: I do think that education is very important and IMHO there is no better place to learn CS than in university/college (especially when you're interested in theoretical aspects like algorithm/data structure design).

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

Post subject: Re: New to the forums
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:32 am 

Welcome!

Your OS seems like taking shape. It would be nice to have a gui tho.