OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: e820 non-contiguous memory map
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 am 

I'm using int 15h eax=e820h to obtain a high memory map before switching to 32-bit protected mode. I'm staring at the map I've received here, and find it strange that smbios in qemu has given me a set of non-contiguous memory regions, as in there is 0xf7fc0000 byte gap between two memory regions with nothing to fill it. I've confirmed this with grub2 and the Linux kernel using the same qemu flags. I know launching the program that I only have 128MiB of memory and that memory range is accounted for, but there is a 0x40000 byte region that is "reserved" outside of the physical memory I have "installed". I'm just unsure how I should have my OS interpret a non-contiguous memory map. It seems pretty easy here, as the "lonely" memory region is "reserved", but on other systems could it be marked usable and would it really be usable? I'm also curious as to why (and a little bit how, though I have some idea) my memory isn't contiguous. This is what I see (sorry I haven't implemented a serial console left so it would be a pain to copy it as text):

Last edited by Izzette on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: e820 non-contiguous memory map
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 am 

If you're anything like me, and you just want to make life easy on yourself, you can ignore everything but "usable" areas, and just add those areas that are flagged as usable to your memory manager. You still have to worry a little about overlapping usable areas, but you can probably safely ignore that situation for a few years.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 am 

Ok, if the BIOS says it's a usable memory region and it's non-overlapping it's actually a usable memory region, got it. As for the "why" part: that 0xfffc0000-0xffffffff region is memory mapped to hardware, right? And it actually is accessible, I could stick a pointer to it and read and/or write, it just might not be safe to do so, right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:55 am 

This is not a phenomenon of QEMU. Real hardware has non-contiguous mapping as well. For example there is an architectural hole below 4 GiB that contains the MSI space and often the APIC and PCI BARs as well. Note that this range has to stay below 4 GiB in order to support non-64-bit aware OS.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm 

Izzette wrote:
Ok, if the BIOS says it's a usable memory region and it's non-overlapping it's actually a usable memory region, got it. As for the "why" part: that 0xfffc0000-0xffffffff region is memory mapped to hardware, right? And it actually is accessible, I could stick a pointer to it and read and/or write, it just might not be safe to do so, right?

Yes. A region should be marked as reserved if it is being used to communicate with physical hardware, or if it contains important system data, like 16-bit interrupt handlers, SMBios code or ACPI tables. Anything the Operating System should not touch.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm 

Got it! Thanks, @SpyderTL and @Korona.