OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Has anyone on this forum made an OS with a GUI?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 pm 

Hey guys. Has anyone on the forum ever create an OS with a GUI? Most of the time, hobby OS projects are just shells and basic windows. Has anyone made a GUI with lots of features? Include your download, website and screenshot link here!

My OS is useless. I'm trying to learn about INT 13h (oh yeah... that will really fail)... 8)

Please note I'm not trying to steal your code. Honestly, I just want something to use for a virtual machine.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone on this forum made an OS with a GUI?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:19 pm 

Having a GUI is nothing special, really, take it from someone who is working on a graphical OS. People overestimate what it takes to do it. Fine, it has a lot of dependencies, but most of those have to be there in any "real" OS (video driver, mouse/keyboard driver, file system, multitasking, ...) Aside from that, this thread wouldn't be much different than the screenshots thread.
Anyway, still going to show off. :mrgreen:
xOS is a graphical system, the source code is here. You can download the disk.hdd file and use it with QEMU or VirtualBox, though it performs best on VirtualBox. (Notice you have to use IDE and not SATA on VirtualBox.) This is what it looks like at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 pm 

omarrx024 wrote:
Having a GUI is nothing special, really, take it from someone who is working on a graphical OS. People overestimate what it takes to do it. Fine, it has a lot of dependencies, but most of those have to be there in any "real" OS (video driver, mouse/keyboard driver, file system, multitasking, ...) Aside from that, this thread wouldn't be much different than the screenshots thread.
Anyway, still going to show off. :mrgreen:
xOS is a graphical system, the source code is here. You can download the disk.hdd file and use it with QEMU or VirtualBox, though it performs best on VirtualBox. (Notice you have to use IDE and not SATA on VirtualBox.) This is what it looks like at the moment.

All in ASM?!?!? Teach me your ways, master! :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 pm 

hannah wrote:
All in ASM?!?!? Teach me your ways, master! :P

I don't want to start the same debate here that has been going on on the other thread. But (just my opinion) assembly is the only language I'm comfortable with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm 

Have a look through the screenshot thread (you might want to skip to more recent posts, the thread is very old). There's lots of GUIs there, and some of them will have links to disk images/source.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:57 pm 

Give ToaruOS a shot. It is most sucessful public projects I know on this community (but there are some very silent ones, which do not appear to give news for years, but seem to not be dead)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:28 pm 

Yes, a GUI isn't so much. It depends on what features it has. It is still good progress. Many people think a GUI is like

Quote:
A GUI IS SOOO AMAZING! OMG THIS IS THE BEST SOOO COOL. OH MY GOD OH MAH GOD OH MY GOD!

You can simply use graphics using INT 10h.

Search for the AH=09h function: INT 10H - WIkipedia
Remember now. The only hardest thing in OS development is program emulation (See the OSDev Wiki for beginner mistakes)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:08 pm 

I think most people here want to run their OSs in protected or long mode so that they can take advantage of protection mechanisms, paging, and - possibly most important - more than 1MB of RAM.

You may find that a useful GUI is not quite as simple as you suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:41 pm 

iansjack wrote:
You may find that a useful GUI is not quite as simple as you suppose.
Correct.

Most around here are like:
Quote:
I have this nice little GUI and it has images hehe, I just implemented it right in the kernel for now. But I have some programs too. For now they are all linked to the kernel. But I will make them executables later. But look I have an animated cursor. Uuh, what's a system call?
Sure, you can get some nice windows and draw some pretty stuff really quick if you just get your VESA running. But there's a whole lot of difference between just drawing some windows and having a proper window server that applications can communicate with. The amount of work to make a good design and implement it is often largely underestimated.