Newbie question

Question about which tools to use, bugs, the best way to implement a function, etc should go here. Don't forget to see if your question is answered in the wiki first! When in doubt post here.
Eukka

Newbie question

Post by Eukka »

yeah...
How do i make a bootdfloppy of my os? what programs you peolpe recomend?? and how do i do a "image" of that floppy to my hd that i can run it in Bochs??
VE3MTM

RE:Newbie question

Post by VE3MTM »

I believe that Bochs has a program called bximage that makes an image for you (only used it in the Linux version, so I'm not sure if it's in the Windows version), then use a program like rawwritewin (or however it's spelled) to dump the image
modshah

Post by modshah »

hi

To make a boot-floppy you can use

For windows: use copyboot.exe (or) rawwrite.exe

For Linux: use dd

PS: I use djgpp,nasm and copyboot for osdev. (I am an windows user)
Neo

Post by Neo »

you can create a image using partcopy by John Fine. its very easy to use. this image can be used in BOCHS. you create a image of a floppy by inserting in your drive (A:) and using "partcopy -f0 0 168000 myimg.img 0" this should give you an image with the name myimg.img. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.
Only Human
Robert Lee

Post by Robert Lee »

Out of curiosity, do you also use SEXE.EXE along with copyboot? I think they are written by the same author.

For the original message:

If you use NT (2000 or Xp too I think), you may not be able to use copyboot or rawwrite as I think windows nt blocks direct disk access. Instead you should use NTRW.EXE (NT rawwrite) which uses WinNT services to do direct disk IO. I'm not sure if NTRW can be used by Win95/98/ME users though.

-Robert
Xenos

Post by Xenos »

On Win NT, 2000, XP you can still use DOS programs that access the disk through BIOS interrupts. I have written a simple COM executable that puts my bootsector to disk using INT 13h and it works fine with Win 2000.
Eukka

Post by Eukka »

Thanks guys (and girls?)!!

this helps me lot!
modshah

Post by modshah »

Dear Robert,

Of course I use both XP and 2000, but I haven't had a problem with copyboot.exe.
Copyboot always copies by bootimage to the floppy disk. And if u want a copy I will send you one :-)

modshah.
Eukka

Another problem . . .

Post by Eukka »

Yes, i have another problem about my kernel.bin and John Fine's bootf02.
I've downloaded an basic kernel (which was from some tutorial) and that kernels size was 4096bytes. bootf02 loaded that kernel succesfully. Then i tried to load my kernel (whose size was about 4324bytes) and when i boot Bochs, it finds floppy and start load it. I think that bootf02 failed to load my kernel.bin because bochs "stacks". Is the problem in bootf02?