OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: When your OS goes crazy - Screenshots
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:27 pm 

Korona wrote:
octacone wrote:
That is actually impressive! Btw what do you mean by native graphics driver? Setting a bad pixel clock? What is your method, VESA or VGA?

I'm using neither VESA nor VGA. I manipulate the native registers of the graphics card (i.e. I set a pixel clock, display timings, program the framebuffer address and enable graphics output). The driver can set any mode (e.g. 1920x1080@32bpp) that is supported by the card and the monitor. I do not have to use the BIOS or any third party functionality. However keep in mind that the driver is tied to Intel G45 and similar chipsets.

It is easy to extend this to hardware double/triple/whatever buffering on VSYNC, hardware mouse cursors, hardware overlays (i.e. displaying a second framebuffer inside a window) and multiple monitors. My code does not support acceleration (BLTing or shaders) yet though.

Wow, that's incredible. Is your code open-source? I'd love to take a look at it in order to see what you're doing; Intel's documentation is a little overwhelming for someone without extensive experience of embedded systems like me. Given that it's the Intel G45, is this driver also compatible with most Intel HD integrated graphics chips?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:14 pm 

zesterer wrote:
Wow, that's incredible. Is your code open-source? I'd love to take a look at it in order to see what you're doing; Intel's documentation is a little overwhelming for someone without extensive experience of embedded systems like me. Given that it's the Intel G45, is this driver also compatible with most Intel HD integrated graphics chips?

Yes, my code is available here on github (beware of C++ operator overloading). I did not push the DDC code for getting EDID information without the BIOS yet (which is required to discover the video modes that a connected monitor supports). I also did not spend much time on cleaning up the code yet. I plan to write a wiki page that explains how to do the mode set.

About portability to other graphics chips: The driver as-is should work for all (non-mobile) third generation Intel graphics chips from this list (i.e. all card produced in 2006-2009). There would be minor changes required for generation 3 chips. I don't think it is worthwhile to support anything below generation 3.

For later generations: Regarding the display registers there are two notable overhauls in Intel HD graphics chips: The first is the introduction of Ironlake and the second the introduction of Haswell. All chips in between do not need many changes in the driver. The greatest difference between Ironlake and G45 is that Ironlake shares clock sources between different display pipelines so you need a mechanism to allocate clock sources (which is trivial if you only use one display pipe). I did not yet look into the changes introduced with Haswell.

That being said I do think that it is possible to support those generations if you want to. I do not think that writing a mode setting driver for the newer generations is much more complicated than writing a mode setting driver for the G45. The hardware might be a bit more complex but it is also much better documented. I did not choose G45 because it is easy; I just chose it because that is the hardware that I had available :D.

managarm: Microkernel-based OS capable of running a Wayland desktop (Discord: https://discord.gg/7WB6Ur3). My OS-dev projects: [mlibc: Portable C library for managarm, qword, Linux, Sigma, ...] [LAI: AML interpreter] [xbstrap: Build system for OS distributions].

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:40 pm 

Korona wrote:
zesterer wrote:

Yes, my code is available here on github (beware of C++ operator overloading). I did not push the DDC code for getting EDID information without the BIOS yet (which is required to discover the video modes that a connected monitor supports). I also did not spend much time on cleaning up the code yet. I plan to write a wiki page that explains how to do the mode set.

Thanks a lot for this info, that's really helpful. I'd love to see a wiki page that gives a high-level explanation of it all: modesetting as run-time would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:34 am 

My integer-to-text routine has a particular way to handle 0x80000000 (it was supposed to show -2147483648):

It was fixed, the routine was going through 31 bits because I was stupid enough to assume the MSB would be clear after making the integer positive. Go figure. (no, division wouldn't do the job because I'm on a decades old CPU and that'd take ages, besides I only get 16-bit division which only makes it worse =P took a different approach by adding BCD numbers instead)

EDIT: if anybody is interested on the routine (without the bug, that is):
http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/vie ... f=2&t=2573

Last edited by Sik on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:13 am 

Sik wrote:
My integer-to-text routine has a particular way to handle 0x80000000 (it was supposed to show -2147483648):

It was fixed, the routine was going through 31 bits because I was stupid enough to assume the MSB would be clear after making the integer positive. Go figure. (no, division wouldn't do the job because I'm on a decades old CPU and that'd take ages, besides I only get 16-bit division which only makes it worse =P took a different approach by adding BCD numbers instead)

Is your OS public/open source? I love it's ideas (and the OS itself) and would love to study your code.
EDIT: if the source isn't available I would still like to test it in a VM.

Last edited by MajickTek on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:16 am 

Not yet, I want to finish the calculator first =/ (I need to come up with an easy division algorithm, I've been slacking off on that) Though yes I do intend to release the source code.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:17 am 

Sik wrote:
Not yet, I want to finish the calculator first =/ (I need to come up with an easy division algorithm, I've been slacking off on that) Though yes I do intend to release the source code.

Thanks for telling me! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 am 

Sik wrote:

EDIT: if anybody is interested on the routine (without the bug, that is):
http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/vie ... f=2&t=2573

Nice interface!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:24 am 

Double Buffering fail :p The blue is meant to cover the screen (Still haven't fixed this problem)

https://discord.gg/NAYp6AUYWM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 am 

"repz movsd" in a console screen clear function instead of "repz stosd"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:12 pm 

On the flipside, now you have a random number generator.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:44 am 

With a period of 1, where the seed comes from another RNG, and the generated number is the seed itself. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:44 am 

Sik wrote:
On the flipside, now you have a random number generator.

This was exactly my first thought...

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." - Montgomery Scott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 am 

I have just as many questions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:47 am 

Crashed when troubled in mutex.

Attachments:
File comment: With buzzer shouting.
捕获.PNG
捕获.PNG [ 11.34 KiB | Viewed 6008 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 54  Next