OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:40 am 

aaaaa, ahaha, can't believe it's serious. i'll remove it when i am on my desktop, the tablet is not suitable for googling or profile editing.

It stands for Ported Unix Sub-System btw, as well as word playing with the Posix name, and i really like it. PussyX is not Unix.

It's quite surprising this reaction. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:46 pm 

zaval wrote:

You have to remember context. Those of us that work in a cubicle environment would only need to have someone glance over the cube wall at the right time and see your (overt) signature. They would have no context, but in a zero-tolerance environment HR would certainly be involved. I can speak for myself that I have no desire for that kind of interaction, even if I was only reviewing the site at lunch and the acronym was totally innocent. It has absolutely nothing to do with you, or me for that matter. It's sad.

Thank you for making the change.

The name is fitting: Century Hobby OS -- At this rate, it's gonna take me that long!
Read about my mistakes and missteps with this iteration: Journal

"Sometimes things just don't make sense until you figure them out." -- Phil Stahlheber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

zaval wrote:
aaaaa, ahaha, can't believe it's serious. i'll remove it when i am on my desktop, the tablet is not suitable for googling or profile editing.

It stands for Ported Unix Sub-System btw, as well as word playing with the Posix name, and i really like it. PussyX is not Unix.

Actually I blocked your signature quite some time ago. Because people were not believing me that it was a programming forum. :D :oops:
I actually thought you did it on purpose, for fun. Couldn't have ever imagined that it would actually have a meaning.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 pm 

once i had a project thats name was accidentally meant little penis in certain language (weewee. in hungarian, vivi is a cute girl name). when i discovered it, it was too late, it bankrupted the project

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:51 am 

Finally! I have something big to show.
7 days of coding + bug hunting later:
• Bitmap Based Allocator
• Allocating and Freeing Blocks of Physical Memory (multiple blocks planned, reserving regions planned)
• Located at 4 MB
To be honest, this is actually the first time I was able to fully understand how memory management works. It took me over two years to figure it all out (both physical, virtual, heap memory models).
I think it was well worth it. Now I can start thinking about multitasking, virtual 8086, paging, user mode, system calls, etc...

Attachments:
BasicOS_PMM.png
BasicOS_PMM.png [ 11.69 KiB | Viewed 5792 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:46 pm 

eryjus wrote:
Those of us that work in a cubicle environment would only need to have someone glance over the cube wall

I've simply disabled signatures. Multiple problems solved.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 pm 

This screenshot shows itself being hosted using Sortix's port of OpenBSD httpd. Sortix can be self-referential because it's self-hosting.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 pm 

Here I am running a 4 core virtual ARM 64 bit processor with MMU, multithreading and interrupts enabled in the assembly code, CLCD (PL111) framebuffer set to 800x600 and routines to plot pixels written. I am planning to follow up with some virtual memory management, scheduling and might work onwards to writing a basic framebuffer windowing system and ethernet drivers.

It's a shame that the ARM DS-5 IDE costs thousands and has only a 30 day period of trial that registers your mac address (so you cant use a new email to reuse it) it's a great development environment (at least better than QEMU Aarch64 lol)

Attachments:
pp.png
pp.png [ 71.75 KiB | Viewed 5622 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:02 am 

gungomanj wrote:
Here I am running a 4 core virtual ARM 64 bit processor with MMU, multithreading and interrupts enabled in the assembly code, CLCD (PL111) framebuffer set to 800x600 and routines to plot pixels written. I am planning to follow up with some virtual memory management, scheduling and might work onwards to writing a basic framebuffer windowing system and ethernet drivers.

It's a shame that the ARM DS-5 IDE costs thousands and has only a 30 day period of trial that registers your mac address (so you cant use a new email to reuse it) it's a great development environment (at least better than QEMU Aarch64 lol)
I find that drawing a phallus is one of the most important test case of any operating system.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:32 am 

matt11235 wrote:
gungomanj wrote:

I find that drawing a phallus is one of the most important test case of any operating system.

You gotta show em that your OS stands proud and has virility.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:22 am 

I feel like I post too often, but I have stuff to show. :?

Does any of your think this is cool? At all?

• Extended keyboard driver capabilities: added a fully working state machine, being able to detect any key-press, being able to print ANY character I want that exists on my keyboard (proper right alt, shift, caps, number lock support)
• Extended keyboard + TUI (text user interface :: screen driver of sort) capabilities: being able to fully manipulate the cursor (up, down, left, right, enter, backspace, tab), as you can see from the image I can type where ever I want
• 1160 lines of code all together (TUI, keyboard driver, PS/2 controller -> combined). Months and moths of hard work.

Attachments:
Keyboard & Cursor.png
Keyboard & Cursor.png [ 11.27 KiB | Viewed 5546 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:38 pm 

gungomanj wrote:
matt11235 wrote:

hahaha. sexually explicit sense of humor. Image

PS. people here don't love that. ;)

what are your real targets for aarch64? I mean, what boards, SoCs?

Octacone wrote:

this thread has been made for you. :)
Quote:

• Extended keyboard driver capabilities: added a fully working state machine, being able to detect any key-press, being able to print ANY character I want that exists on my keyboard (proper right alt, shift, caps, number lock support)
• Extended keyboard + TUI (text user interface :: screen driver of sort) capabilities: being able to fully manipulate the cursor (up, down, left, right, enter, backspace, tab), as you can see from the image I can type where ever I want
• 1160 lines of code all together (TUI, keyboard driver, PS/2 controller -> combined). Months and moths of hard work.

everytime something is working out with such complex things, it's always "cool". :)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:56 pm 

zaval wrote:
Octacone wrote:

this thread has been made for you. :)
Quote:

everytime something is working out with such complex things, it's always "cool". :)

O:) Always happy to hear something as kind as this.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:42 pm 

zaval wrote:
gungomanj wrote:
matt11235 wrote:

hahaha. sexually explicit sense of humor. Image

PS. people here don't love that. ;)

what are your real targets for aarch64? I mean, what boards, SoCs?

my target would be a 4 or 8 core Aarch64 board with an open source GPU or at least open framebuffer but a man can only fantasize about that now. I picked Aarch64 because it's a popular and modern RISC ISA that'll allow me to branch out to mobile/embedded devices until we get some application tier RISC-V processors.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:03 am 

I now have cool stack traces in my kernel :D

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.02.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 11.02.57 AM.png [ 111.19 KiB | Viewed 5365 times ]

The panic was a response to ^D

Lev

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 260  Next