OSDev.org

The Place to Start for Operating System Developers
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does your OS look like? (Screen Shots..)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:53 pm 

Moving forward with my prototype web browser.

Fixed many issues in the TCP socket implementation, which now loads within 1 to 3 seconds in VirtualBox. There are many tags that are still ignored, and other things need to be parsed as well (like the   which shouldn't be shown.) Hopefully I can post in this forum from my OS soon. :)

Anyway, a video is more fun than a screenshot. For me, at least.

Update: Fast forward several hours, and I can read the OSDev Wiki as well. Now I can study more about TCP from within my OS.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:07 am 

omarrx024 wrote:
Moving forward with my prototype web browser.

Fixed many issues in the TCP socket implementation, which now loads within 1 to 3 seconds in VirtualBox. There are many tags that are still ignored, and other things need to be parsed as well (like the   which shouldn't be shown.) Hopefully I can post in this forum from my OS soon. :)

Anyway, a video is more fun than a screenshot. For me, at least.

Update: Fast forward several hours, and I can read the OSDev Wiki as well. Now I can study more about TCP from within my OS.

Do you have some sort of list of references from which you have learned?

Do you have cumulative versions of that URL/document reference to learn better from your code?

Do you have a video set showing what you have developed day after day?

It would make everything extremely more clear for everyone to learn from your code. A video log of capturing few seconds every time you do anything new as a step related to development tasks for a same day, for which you show an achieved goal or goals at the end of the video, would show all you did to manage to get to those goals in a day, and would also let you keep a more constant development that you can later review as a better refresher.

I keep a video log of my software development which I try to gradually increase in quality. Each screen capture video in this playlist contains the development of a whole day, every day of OS development and general study:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAtuuvZSlQWBywstSwK3eNMYiFULJEJF0

From this week, I have been recording what I do while developing. I take a video snapshot with Camtasia or CamStudio 2.0 (for Windows 98/ME) then pause. I keep a main computer and record with camera as well. Then I play back those videos in the main computer while recording the video I'm viewing and at the end of the day (or more commonly after achieving an immediate goal) I finish the recording and upload.

Here I have my daily development sequence in a playlist. There are some tiny tasks and very brief yet important website browsing events that are so fast and small that I wouldn't be able to clearly pointing out without actually recording them into a daily video digest, and I find that it puts me on par with the enthusiasm I started with back in 2005, just with more knowledge, and doing this daily video captures of the whole day while developing also accelerates my development process, I distract less because I only record a few seconds every time I do something new for the development, and then pause.

YouTube:
http://youtube.com/@AltComp126/streams
http://youtube.com/@proyectos/streams

http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/projec ... 7z?viasf=1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:56 am 

~ wrote:
Do you have some sort of list of references from which you have learned?

Do you have cumulative versions of that URL/document reference to learn better from your code?

For the network stack itself, OSDev Wiki, UDP RFC768, TCP RFC793, Domain Names RFC1035, DHCP RFC2131, Wikipedia and of course Wireshark for checking my own packets and seeing how other OS's packets look to see if I'm doing it correctly, and that's really almost everything.
For the browser, it's mostly my own effort without using references, as I'm somewhat experienced with HTML and know how it works. So, I'd simply picture HTML in my head, and imagine how it should look like when rendered, and then write code that does that. Of course, I'd be testing it on sample files I write first, and then I move on to "real" pages delivered by HTTP, and implement more missing tags as I go to make it looks more "acceptable." Of course it's still far from complete, and I don't think it will ever be fully complete.

~ wrote:
Do you have a video set showing what you have developed day after day?

No, but I do have a playlist on YouTube with my progress every few months, or every time I reach a milestone. The most recent video is at the top. I think it's better to have one video every few months/weeks with a ton of new features rather than a video every day with little to no difference that you notice immediately. Put it this way: would you prefer a software that gives you an update every day with little to no difference, or a software that gives you an update every several months with many new features and fixes? I'm pretty sure most of us would go for the latter.

Last edited by BrightLight on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 am 

My personal style is concentrating my videos in showing how I managed to achieve every little trick, how I originally found and learned them initially if possible. I would become far too bored, it all would become too tedious and wouldn't keep development continuity even when I wouldn't normally be confused.

But that's my style, I'm at the point where my knowledge level only allows for that.

You are right. If you concentrate better with your current style, you better do so to produce the most in the least possible time in an effective way. The only point is that with videos, people can immediately see how to compile and run your programs, and also update them, so it would be the best usage manual of all that I can currently conceive, showing all the tricks it's intended to contain.

The web browser could later serve as a library to build the GUI using HTML/HTML5 to use one of the best-defined user interface specifications at least as an API. It will probably advance a lot if you figure, if possible daily, what else you genuinely need to add next, and do so during that day, in such a way that you needed to meditate again to find more tasks to do right next.

I also need to be careful of what I eat. I recently found that I have to constantly "detect" and test what food gives me the most energy and mental clarity (it might not always be the same), and which one simply devastates me and have to avoid. Pieces of cake normally seem to break my energy. Fresh fish with lemon, lemonade with honey, boiled eggs with a bit of salt and other things give me energy. I will also make a playlist of what food helps me concentrate in an exceptionally energetic manner.

So what I do would mostly look like a daily class in software development starting at the OS level. It would be a class if I already knew everything as to be an expert working in known accomplished key projects, but as things are they are just daily development video logs with an achieved goal at the end or in the next video, but with educative value at that level, so as to make common people understand some more concepts.

YouTube:
http://youtube.com/@AltComp126/streams
http://youtube.com/@proyectos/streams

http://master.dl.sourceforge.net/projec ... 7z?viasf=1

Last edited by ~ on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 am 

@omarrx024 any plans to implement a larger font? (it'll probably help with the headings)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:44 am 

@omarrx024: your OS is looking really good! It's remarkable how much you have achieved in such a short time!
omarrx024 wrote:
So, I'd simply picture HTML in my head, and imagine how it should look like when rendered, and then write code that does that.

Now that's a real hacker's attitude! Keep on with that!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 am 

Sik wrote:
@omarrx024 any plans to implement a larger font? (it'll probably help with the headings)

Probably, but there are more important things than the headings, for now at least.

bzt wrote:
@omarrx024: your OS is looking really good! It's remarkable how much you have achieved in such a short time!
omarrx024 wrote:
So, I'd simply picture HTML in my head, and imagine how it should look like when rendered, and then write code that does that.

Now that's a real hacker's attitude! Keep on with that!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:34 am 

omarrx024 wrote:

Writing a web browser on your own is just mind-blowing. You are one very talented assembly programmer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am 

Octacone wrote:
Writing a web browser on your own is just mind-blowing. You are one very talented assembly programmer.

Thanks, but the web browser is actually in C. The network stack is in assembly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm 

Wow, while your OSes already have GUI and a lot of things, my one only have a basic memory allocator....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 pm 

We're doing web browsers now?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:47 pm 

klange wrote:

I guess we are.

Oh, and I couldn't keep posting screenshots of 800x600 so I increased the resolution. :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 pm 

omarrx024 wrote:
klange wrote:

I guess we are.

Oh, and I couldn't keep posting screenshots of 800x600 so I increased the resolution. :P

Gotta fix those entities ( )! I'm cheating a bit as I'm using an HTML parser from my implementation language's standard library, and it does that for me...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:02 am 

No offense, but, isn't that kinda not OS development anymore? That is simply user mode application development.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am 

dseller wrote:
No offense, but, isn't that kinda not OS development anymore? That is simply user mode application development.

Technically, it is still very OS development related. It is not that they are showing Windows specific web browsers. If we would to restrict this topic to supervisor mode only it wouldn't be fun, because most of the graphical interfaces are done in user mode. So user mode itself is very related, we are still talking about personal/hobby operating systems, thus OS development.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3898 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 260  Next